Dynamics NAV RTC 2009 R2 with Outlook plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm doing some tests on how I sequence Dynamics NAV RTC 2009 R2. I have tested with the RTC client only and it works fine.

But I also need the Outlook plugin/addon, but it require Outlook to be installed.

I can install Outlook on the sequencer PC, but will that work on the clients with Outlook installed locally?

/Kim

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:48 AM

Answers

• Hi

Sorry for not getting back earlier, was busy with other things.

I have decided not to AppV the plugin just yet, having trouble enough getting different other parts of Navision to work :-)

But thanks Nicke and Aaron for your answers! I might need you another time ;-)

/Kim

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by FreeSoftDK Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:57 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, as long as the sequence does not contain anything hard-coded to the specific user

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:06 AM
  • Okay, thanks!

Should their Outlook be lunched in some special way?

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:12 AM
  • Does the plugin require that you start it in some special way?

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Is Outlook installed or virtualized on your client PCs?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Is Outlook installed or virtualized on your client PCs?
    Installed.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 10:15 PM
  • you'll need to provide a shortcut to Outlook from within the Dynamics NAV package. Users will be required to launch that shortcut to use Dynamics NAV with Outlook (they will need to close all existing Outlook instances before opening the Dynamics NAV/Outlook shortcut).

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:37 PM
  • you'll need to provide a shortcut to Outlook from within the Dynamics NAV package. Users will be required to launch that shortcut to use Dynamics NAV with Outlook (they will need to close all existing Outlook instances before opening the Dynamics NAV/Outlook shortcut).
    Thanks Aaron, also what I found, but how do I create that shortcut? While sequencing?
    Friday, March 23, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Yes, during the Configure Applications step in the Sequencer

Monday, March 26, 2012 6:11 AM
  • I need some newbie help:

Where?

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Hello,
    If using the above step in the wizard - select Applications at the top and choose to add an application. See this reference;

http://technet.microsoft.com/sv-se/library/gg507658.aspx

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Just like this

?

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:32 AM
  • Yes.

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Thanks, got Outlook to open now.

But Outlook starts the first time wizard, so it can't see the local profile?

Monday, March 26, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Hello,

If you have files or registry keys that overlaps the local profile - yes, then it can not see the local profile

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:15 PM
  • So the plugin can't interact with their local Outlook?
    Monday, March 26, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hello,

Well, you either have two options (neither changes the ability for the plugin to interact with the local Outlook - it can always interact with the locally installed outlook)

1. Verify what in your package conflicts with your local MAPI profile and clear it out. This should allow you to use the local MAPI profile - thus providing the user with one Outlook-profile

2. Setup a new profile within the virtualized instance of Outlook (still beeing dependt on the local Outlook)

I suggest you test what suites you better

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Well, you either have two options (neither changes the ability for the plugin to interact with the local Outlook - it can always interact with the locally installed outlook)

1. Verify what in your package conflicts with your local MAPI profile and clear it out. This should allow you to use the local MAPI profile - thus providing the user with one Outlook-profile

How to do that?

2. Setup a new profile within the virtualized instance of Outlook (still beeing dependt on the local Outlook)

It will not "overwrite" the local Outlook?
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Hello,

Regarding one;

You could ensure that nothing is created during the monitoring mode - thats should lead to that when a native application is started within the virtual environment it would use all local-registry keys or files (since those aren't available within the virtual environment). If you do manage to get something within your package - you can goto editing mode and clear those out under the Virtual Registry or Virtual File System tab.

Regarding two:

No

Have you considered taking a training class?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hi

Sorry for not getting back earlier, was busy with other things.

I have decided not to AppV the plugin just yet, having trouble enough getting different other parts of Navision to work :-)

But thanks Nicke and Aaron for your answers! I might need you another time ;-)

/Kim

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by FreeSoftDK Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:57 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:45 PM