none
Questions about setting up a Secondary DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am setting up a secondary DPM server. After creating a protection group and adding all the systems I get the following error..

DPM cannot browse ums1 because of a communication error with the agent.

If you just installed an agent on ums1, the server might be restarting. Wait a few minutes after Windows starts for the agent to become available. Otherwise, troubleshoot the problem as follows:
    1) Make sure that ums1 is remotely accessible from the DPM server.
    2) If a firewall is enabled on ums1, make sure that it is not blocking requests from the DPM server.
    3) Restart the DPM Protection Agent service on ums1. If the service fails to start, re-install the protection agent.

ID: 34
    Details: The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)

Looking at the Primary server backups are happening for ums1. What I am confused about is that I thought the secondary is copying the replica info from the primary and not trying to communicate with a client from the primary.

Friday, May 20, 2011 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The secondary DPM server does need to communicate with the Protected Server in order to get data source information like volume guids.   To troubleshoot the communication problem you can switch protection and that will expose the agent for the Protected Server under the agents tab on the secondary DPM server, then troubleshoot from there. Once the agent shows OK, switch protection back and see if things start working.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The secondary DPM server does need to communicate with the Protected Server in order to get data source information like volume guids.   To troubleshoot the communication problem you can switch protection and that will expose the agent for the Protected Server under the agents tab on the secondary DPM server, then troubleshoot from there. Once the agent shows OK, switch protection back and see if things start working.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Just to confirm UMS1 is the client being backed up by PS1 and the secondary is SS1 which is backing up PS1. PS1 is able to backup UMS1. The error I am getting is trying to backup the UMS1 replica from PS1.

Did you actually mean "The secondary DPM server does need to communicate with the Secondary Server in order to get data source information like volume guids" ?

Thanks

Monday, May 30, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Hi I changed the PS acronym to Protected Server in my original post to make it more clear.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Thanks. Due to network topology issues the protected server cannot be accessed by the secondary server. 
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:25 PM