Restore Files and settings Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• while migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 - i used Windows XP file and settings transfer module to save settings and files to a network drive. Once complete i have just found it complex to use windows 7 easy transfer to get the files back. This is because the MD is never in the office and this complicates the process. Since once in a blue time, he'll say i want the files...I have therefore resorted to getting a PC ,  load windows XP and attempt to get the data back. It's strage that i get the error "The Location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box" . This i find very strange for i have actually mapped the folder from the network server into my box.. please assist.
    NguriJN
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:58 AM

All replies

• while migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 - i used Windows XP file and settings transfer module to save settings and files to a network drive. Once complete i have just found it complex to use windows 7 easy transfer to get the files back. This is because the MD is never in the office and this complicates the process. Since once in a blue time, he'll say i want the files...I have therefore resorted to getting a PC ,  load windows XP and attempt to get the data back. It's strage that i get the error "The Location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box" . This i find very strange for i have actually mapped the folder from the network server into my box.. please assist.
    NguriJN

I noticed that the previous files and settings transfer was done on Windows XP Service Pack III (3) and my current one is/was WinXP SP II (2); out of a nudging in my heart i upgraded my current box to WinXP SP III (3) and restore seems so good - so far -- ongoing -- it's quite a large thing...shall update here
    NguriJN
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Indeed, you should have "matching" service packs when restoring data from the xp files & settings transfer module. I'm convinced that the transfer (XP->XP) now succeeded ;-)

If you want to migrate the data from a winXP to a win7 box, you should have used the Windows 7 easy user transfer wizard. You can download it from here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:25 PM