Problem installing silverlight RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are developing a Silverlight 3.0 application for a customer and run to a following problem:

Scenario:

Windows XP SP3 installed by the IT center at the customer. Two users (User1 and User2) both NOT being local admins on the machine. First user logs in and goes to the application (via IE7) and gets the "Get Silverlight Logo". Clicks on it dowloads SL and installs it correctly. The application runs fine. The User1 logs off. The User2 logs in and tries to run the application (via IE7) and gets again the "Get Silverlight Logo". Clicks, downloads the SL abd tries to install. At the end of the installation, the installer says: Failed to install.

There is no possibilty for User2 to deinstall the previous installation (it is simply not in the Add/Remove Sowftware dialog) - probabbly because it has ben installed by User1.

It may be that the User has installed SL3 and the new user downloaded SL4; however it does not change the situation, because installing of SL3 runtime fails as well. I have tried to google for the solution; however the only advice I have seen has been deinstalling the previous version - which is not possible, because it is not in the Add/Remove Software dialog.

Could you please help me with this problem, because the acceptance rate of the application by the customer is quite low because of this. The reainstalling the computer/logging in as an admin is not an option, because I cannot force the customer (BMW) to do it.

thank you in advance

Michal Gubis

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:53 AM

All replies

• an update:

I have just checked that the User1 has installed SL3 and User2 tries to install SL4

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:55 AM