none
DNS Zone Transfer Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a question that I cant seem to find an answer for (or work out in my head).

Say I have 3 DNS Servers, ServerA, ServerB and ServerC.  On ServerA I configure a Primary (non AD Intergrated) DNS Zone for xyz.com.

I add xyz.com as secondary zones on ServerB and ServerC with ServerA as the Master Server.  I allow Zone transfers to "Only the following servers" and specify ServerB and ServerC. 

So far so good yeah?

Now I want a separate company to have a Stub Zone for zyx.com

They provide me with the IP address of the DNS server they are going to add the stub zone to... but I have two questions:-

1) Do they just add ServerA as the master server or do they add ServerA, ServerB and ServerC

2) I guess based on the answer from above do I have to add their server to the allow zone transfer tab on all 3 of my servers or just ServerA?

Thanks

Patrick

Monday, January 25, 2016 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi PatrickHorne,

>>Do they just add ServerA as the master server or do they add ServerA, ServerB and ServerC

The master server for stub zone must consist of one DNS server or more DNS servers to update the stub zone,.

This is reference for you to further deepen the understanding:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779197(v=ws.10).aspx

>>I guess based on the answer from above do I have to add their server to the allow zone transfer tab on all 3 of my servers or just ServerA?

You should allow zone transfer on all master servers.

Best regards

Leo.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PatrickHorne Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:31 AM

All replies

• If server A/B/C are all in the same physical location, have them forward to A. If they are at different locations, have them forward to the closest node.

only add a single node to stub from.

Monday, January 25, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Thanks for the swift reply but there is no forwarding going on here.

As described, ServerA hosts a primary zone, Servers B and C host a secondary copy of that zone.  No forwarding happening here.

Also why should I use only one Node to stub from? Please could you explain the answer instead of me just having to believe you?  Where is the redundancy if only one master server is specified in the Stub Zone creation

Monday, January 25, 2016 2:44 PM
  • Hi PatrickHorne,

>>Do they just add ServerA as the master server or do they add ServerA, ServerB and ServerC

The master server for stub zone must consist of one DNS server or more DNS servers to update the stub zone,.

This is reference for you to further deepen the understanding:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779197(v=ws.10).aspx

>>I guess based on the answer from above do I have to add their server to the allow zone transfer tab on all 3 of my servers or just ServerA?

You should allow zone transfer on all master servers.

Best regards

Leo.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PatrickHorne Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:31 AM
  • This my friend.. is a proper answer!

Thank you!

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:23 AM