Minimum Servers / Collocation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1.  What are the minimum number of servers required to implement an SCCM Solution (All Roles)?

2.  What server roles can be collocated on the same server?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:46 AM

Answers

• Hello,

==>So, basically if we take AD, DNS and DHCP out of the equation, only one-1 Server can accommodate all the roles?  Please, correct my understanding.
    Yes, you are right.

==>Just adding one more question:  And to have a HA of SCCM with minimum amount of servers, we would need a remote SQL/SQL Cluster as well as two-2 SCCM Servers holding all the roles each?  Please, correct my understanding.
    You're basically right. For really SCCM HA site server, besides a remote SQL/SQL Cluster as well as two SCCM Servers holding all the roles each(one active site server and one passive site server), it's also recommended that we build a remote content library and a remote SMS Provider.

For more detailed information about SCCM HA, please refer to this article: Step-by-step: Highly available Site server

If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to feedback. And if the reply is helpful, please kindly click "Mark as answer". Thank you!

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi, 

Yes, several site systems don't support multiple instances at a site or in the hierarchy. Please review the list:

Asset intelligence synchronization point
    Endpoint protection point
    Enrollment point 
    Enrollment proxy point
    Fallback status point
    Service connection point

For more details, please refer to:
    Options for sites and site system roles that aren't highly available

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Based on my experience, for small SCCM environment, only two servers are required.
    Roles for server1: AD,DNS and DHCP.
    Roles for server2: SQL server and all other roles for SCCM, such as Primary Site Sever,DP,MP,SUP etc.

Please refer to this guidance: SCCM 1802 install guide

As shown below in my environment. It is now functioning well. DC01 is server1(AD,DNS and DHCP server) and sccm is server2(SQL server and Primary Site Sever,DP,MP,SUP etc).

Hope it helps. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon Ren

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

So, basically if we take AD, DNS and DHCP out of the equation, only one-1 Server can accommodate all the roles?  Please, correct my understanding.

Just adding one more question:  And to have a HA of SCCM with minimum amount of servers, we would need a remote SQL/SQL Cluster as well as two-2 SCCM Servers holding all the roles each?  Please, correct my understanding.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Hello,

==>So, basically if we take AD, DNS and DHCP out of the equation, only one-1 Server can accommodate all the roles?  Please, correct my understanding.
    Yes, you are right.

==>Just adding one more question:  And to have a HA of SCCM with minimum amount of servers, we would need a remote SQL/SQL Cluster as well as two-2 SCCM Servers holding all the roles each?  Please, correct my understanding.
    You're basically right. For really SCCM HA site server, besides a remote SQL/SQL Cluster as well as two SCCM Servers holding all the roles each(one active site server and one passive site server), it's also recommended that we build a remote content library and a remote SMS Provider.

For more detailed information about SCCM HA, please refer to this article: Step-by-step: Highly available Site server

If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to feedback. And if the reply is helpful, please kindly click "Mark as answer". Thank you!

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

During the course of asking questions here I came to know that not all servers roles in SCCM can be made into HA.

Can you please share if that is indeed correct and what roles would that be?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Hi, 

Yes, several site systems don't support multiple instances at a site or in the hierarchy. Please review the list:

Asset intelligence synchronization point
    Endpoint protection point
    Enrollment point 
    Enrollment proxy point
    Fallback status point
    Service connection point

For more details, please refer to:
    Options for sites and site system roles that aren't highly available

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Great Simon; appreciate it.

So, i guess the recovery for these roles would just involve re-installation and re-configuration.  Please, enlighten.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:19 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, you are correct! If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

It's appreciated that you could mark all useful replies as answers, this will help other users to search for useful information more quickly. Thank you!

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:31 AM
  • Just did, thanks for the response.

Just a quick question on the HA/DR of SCCM.  Can you share any link which I can read/follow for my strategy either technet or any other site?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Here are some articles for your reference:

High availability options for Configuration Manager
    Back up a Configuration Manager site
    Step-by-step: Highly available Site server
    High Availability–Failing over to a new Passive
    Microsoft SCCM Backup and Recovery Guide
    Recover a ConfigMgr Current Branch site - my ramblings

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:28 AM