Windows 10 1809 LTSC Updates Not Showing in WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• WSUS Server 2016

Clients are 1607 LTSB and now a handful of 1809 LTSC

In WSUS I have CU updates from 1507 to 1803.  However I have no 1809 CU updates.  The only 1809 updates I'm getting are .NET Framework.

The only Windows 10 option I have selected in WSUS is "Windows 10 LTSB".  Do I now have to check off something else to get 1809 updates?

Many thanks for any help!

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:42 PM

Answers

• You need to check "Windows 10" in the products section. This 'product' applies to all Windows 10 versions, ltsb, edu, enterprise, pro, N etc.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Marked as answer by JEmlay Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:02 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:13 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem.
    No solution
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:06 AM
  • Hi,

I noticed that there are currently monthly cumulative updates for Windows 10 Version 1809, which are targeted at Windows 10. So for now, if the updated product you choose in WSUS is "Windows 10 LTSB", you won't be able to see these updates. 

As shown in the figure below:

Update for Windows 10 1809 and LTSB

To get cumulative updates for Windows 10 Version 1809 now, I think there are two ways:

1. Import the patch into WSUS through the Microsoft Update Catalog site.
    2. Add new product item to WSUS: Windows 10

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:12 AM
  • You need to check "Windows 10" in the products section. This 'product' applies to all Windows 10 versions, ltsb, edu, enterprise, pro, N etc.

• Marked as answer by JEmlay Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:02 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:13 AM
  • Now I sync product Windows 10 in my WSUS

Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:15 AM
  • Product "Windows 10"

I checked. everything is working

Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:57 AM

Ugh, I was afraid of that.  Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't want to just start checking things off guessing and checking only to junk up my WSUS install.

Looks like they're lumping everything together now.  So this added over 800 updates to my DB.  As if WSUS wasn't slow enough as is.  It also seems to add ARM as well.  After all these years and there's still no way to split out x86/x64 and now ARM.  Good thing Itanium died off.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:02 PM

Ugh, I was afraid of that.  Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't want to just start checking things off guessing and checking only to junk up my WSUS install.

Looks like they're lumping everything together now.  So this added over 800 updates to my DB.  As if WSUS wasn't slow enough as is.  It also seems to add ARM as well.  After all these years and there's still no way to split out x86/x64 and now ARM.  Good thing Itanium died off.

Updates to the DB is fine. My install has roughly 83,000 updates. Itanium is already in WAM as a daily decline, and I'll be looking at adding ARM on the next major update. The split-out of x86/x64 - in what regards - if you only have x64 in your environment, only approve the needed updates. it doesn't matter if the x86 updates are in the database (if they are not approved, they don't get downloaded by default).

Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:01 PM
  • Updates to the DB is fine. My install has roughly 83,000 updates. Itanium is already in WAM as a daily decline, and I'll be looking at adding ARM on the next major update. The split-out of x86/x64 - in what regards - if you only have x64 in your environment, only approve the needed updates. it doesn't matter if the x86 updates are in the database (if they are not approved, they don't get downloaded by default).
    I didn't say they get downloaded.  They are records in the DB and WSUS runs pretty horribly for how small it is in the first place.  Plus is makes searching for things a major headache.  Those of us that beta tested WSUS back in the day specifically asked for multiple channels for businesses which we eventually got as evident by "Windows 10 LTSB" and here they are reneging the whole thing already.  That didn't last long.

• Edited by JEmlay Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:31 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:30 PM
  • Updates to the DB is fine. My install has roughly 83,000 updates. Itanium is already in WAM as a daily decline, and I'll be looking at adding ARM on the next major update. The split-out of x86/x64 - in what regards - if you only have x64 in your environment, only approve the needed updates. it doesn't matter if the x86 updates are in the database (if they are not approved, they don't get downloaded by default).

I didn't say they get downloaded.  They are records in the DB and WSUS runs pretty horribly for how small it is in the first place.  Plus is makes searching for things a major headache.  Those of us that beta tested WSUS back in the day specifically asked for multiple channels for businesses which we eventually got as evident by "Windows 10 LTSB" and here they are reneging the whole thing already.  That didn't last long.

Are you performing the proper maintenance on a regular basis? WSUS is fast for me. See part 8 of my 8 part blog series which deals with the maintenance WSUS requires (including but not limited to: running the SQL reindexing script, declining superseded updates, removing old products that are no longer in your network, running the server cleanup wizard, etc). Feel free to read the full 8 part series or other guides I have on my site.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

Friday, February 15, 2019 2:45 AM
  • Are you performing the proper maintenance on a regular basis? WSUS is fast for me. See part 8 of my 8 part blog series which deals with the maintenance WSUS requires (including but not limited to: running the SQL reindexing script, declining superseded updates, removing old products that are no longer in your network, running the server cleanup wizard, etc). Feel free to read the full 8 part series or other guides I have on my site.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

Yes.  That all gets done regularly.  It runs like that from the very start.  On every single install I've ever created.  Same with every single one of my peers.  WSUS (along with SCCM) are usually used as examples as how not to manage a DB via GUI. 

A perfect example of WSUS being dumb:

Backup VM
    WSUS Clean Up Wizard - 23 minutes. (zero excuse for this on a DB of this size)
    Restore VM
    External Scripts doing the same thing along with many other tasks - 52 seconds.

I think it's less to do with the work being done within SQL and more along the lines of the GUI just being garbage.  So on those occasions that I'm forced to use the WSUS GUI I like to keep the DB as lean as possible.  I see you have a paid solution now.  Sorry, that wont fly here.  I'll have to stick with your older cleanup script.  I can't even imagine how much worse WSUS would run without it.  Most of us use it.  One of us is lazy and he doesn't do anything.  But then again every few years he's blowing out his install and reloading it.  Some day he'll learn...
    Friday, February 15, 2019 5:16 PM
  • Sorry, that wont fly here.  I'll have to stick with your older cleanup script.  I can't even imagine how much worse WSUS would run without it.  Most of us use it.  One of us is lazy and he doesn't do anything.  But then again every few years he's blowing out his install and reloading it.  Some day he'll learn...

https://www.ajtek.ca/wam/previous-wsus-automated-maintenance-wam-users/

Since you already had a previous version, you're free to use it up until May 31st, 2019, but after that you'll be breaking the license agreement and thereby pirating the software if you don't subscribe or stop using it and delete it. That being said, it was not my intent to advertise on here. Let's get back to the issue at hand.

I had previously asked a question that I didn't get a full answer for...

"The split-out of x86/x64 - in what regards - if you only have x64 in your environment, only approve the needed updates. it doesn't matter if the x86 updates are in the database."

Are you saying that because they are records in the DB, having more records in the database makes it slower and also searching for things is a major headache? What is the range of the number of records in the database that you've found to be where it starts to get slower than if you had less numbers? Also, when you say searching for things - please provide examples and why it poses a headache? Perhaps there's another way to make it easier and better for you.

• Edited by AJTek.caMVP Friday, February 15, 2019 6:06 PM Made it more concise
    Friday, February 15, 2019 6:05 PM
  • That's all off topic now.  In the past I've added "drivers" and lets just leave it with....I'll never do that again.
    Friday, February 15, 2019 6:17 PM
  • ...and finally how do you use the WSUS with the 1809 LTSC updates? Thank you.
    Monday, April 8, 2019 11:21 AM