none
How to allocate resource with out affecting durations? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a beginner to Mproject  I am using 13, I have started a diploma in PM and have started to familiarise myself with some of the many areas of M Project, The difficulty I am having at the moment is I have completed my tasks and durations for a construction project but all the durations I set were set allowing for specific resource allocation, The next step for my assignment is to add my resources and in doing so in  some tasks it is affecting the durations. Is there a way I can disable this feature?? So If I add The PM and CM to a particular task it will not reduce the duration of the task?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Friday, November 20, 2015 10:17 PM

Answers

• This is the short answer, but this subject has been gone over and explained in detail here and at other online groups and forums over a period of decades, so it is easy to search and read the many discussions.

It's not complicated but people make it complicated.

Up until this point you have been able to make tasks, estimate their durations, link them up as predecessors/successors etc, make headings and sub-headings, and hopefully all of your tasks are auto scheduled and none of them have date constraints (is there a little calendar icon in the indicators column?) caused by you typing in the dates.

All of this has been possible without needing to be familiar with all of the settings in the task information dialog box, and especially those in the advanced tab. Now you really cannot proceed with resource assignments and what follows (levelling etc) without knowing the advanced tab like the back of your hand.

In task information, advanced tab, you will see two settings, task type and effort driven.
    They work in combination and determine how a background calculation W= E x D works when you change resource assignments, or change durations, or change work.

Task type comes in one of three flavours:

Fixed duration
    Fixed work
    Fixed units

Effort driven can be either on or off. That means that there are 6 possible combinations, but we will find that there are actually only 5.

If your durations change when you change the resources, then your current settings for that task are fixed units, and effort driven is checked. Please confirm. This was the default up to MSP2007, but since MSP2010 the default has been fixed units, and effort driven is not checked, because people seem to prefer this.

Uncheck effort driven before you change the resource assignments and the duration will not change.

Or, easier, just leave the setting as whatever it is and type the duration back in after you juggle the resource assignments.

Any help?

Saturday, November 21, 2015 12:00 AM

All replies

• This is the short answer, but this subject has been gone over and explained in detail here and at other online groups and forums over a period of decades, so it is easy to search and read the many discussions.

It's not complicated but people make it complicated.

Up until this point you have been able to make tasks, estimate their durations, link them up as predecessors/successors etc, make headings and sub-headings, and hopefully all of your tasks are auto scheduled and none of them have date constraints (is there a little calendar icon in the indicators column?) caused by you typing in the dates.

All of this has been possible without needing to be familiar with all of the settings in the task information dialog box, and especially those in the advanced tab. Now you really cannot proceed with resource assignments and what follows (levelling etc) without knowing the advanced tab like the back of your hand.

In task information, advanced tab, you will see two settings, task type and effort driven.
    They work in combination and determine how a background calculation W= E x D works when you change resource assignments, or change durations, or change work.

Task type comes in one of three flavours:

Fixed duration
    Fixed work
    Fixed units

Effort driven can be either on or off. That means that there are 6 possible combinations, but we will find that there are actually only 5.

If your durations change when you change the resources, then your current settings for that task are fixed units, and effort driven is checked. Please confirm. This was the default up to MSP2007, but since MSP2010 the default has been fixed units, and effort driven is not checked, because people seem to prefer this.

Uncheck effort driven before you change the resource assignments and the duration will not change.

Or, easier, just leave the setting as whatever it is and type the duration back in after you juggle the resource assignments.

Any help?

Saturday, November 21, 2015 12:00 AM
  • Trevor,

Thankyou, This was a big help thankyou. I have managed to get my resource costs in and made sure the tasks were not effort driven, All my tasks are automatically scheduled. I was driving myself mad trying to find the answers online in tutoring videos etc. To ask a question from an experienced person is refreshing and appreciated.

Thanks

Ray 

Sunday, November 22, 2015 8:24 PM