IE Per User Initialization Has Stopped working when upgrading to IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Fellow Technicians,

I was wondering if you could assist me with an issue that I am experiencing with our IE11 upgrade.

We are upgrading IE11 (via SCCM 2012 R2) to our Win 7 Pro x64 machines that are currently running IE9.  We used the IEAK to create the package that SCCM deployed and are now running into an issue whereby following the deployment, users are logging on to the desktop and are met with the following message:

"IE Per User initialization has stopped working".  Close the Program

Explorer.exe is not running as there is no taskbar and the desktop is not loaded.

If the user clicks on "Close the Program" then the loading continues and Explorer.exe kicks in and the desktop loads normally.  IE11 then appears to function normally.  However given that the message appears for any user that it's deployed to we cannot continue with our deployment in it's current form.

Procmon cannot be run as Explorer.exe hasn't launched for me to be able to capture it.  The message is literally there straight after the logon splash screen disappears and the desktop attempts to load.

Troubleshooting steps I have tried so far:

• Changed the Install behavior on SCCM so to install "As the user", "Whether or not the user is logged on" and "Only when the user is logged off" = All still get the issue.
    • Deployed as a task sequence with 2 reboots at the end = Still get the issue
    • Used the native IE11 Setup.exe with the /passive /norestart switch = Still get the issue.
    • Installed manually using the native IE11 Setup.exe = Still get the issue
    • Manual install using the native IE11 Setup.exe on to a Vanilla Win 7 Pro x64 image (with no updates or additional software) = Still get the issue

In the event log the following message appears:

Faulting application name: ie4uinit.exe, version: 11.0.9600.17728, time stamp: 0x550254a0

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18847, time stamp: 0x554d7df1

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000001a93

Faulting process id: 0x7a0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0af54a7dd1631

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\ie4uinit.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: e5bdfdb3-1b47-11e5-9cbb-000c29ae385f

Because we use some security products I have been able to ascertain that literally a second before the error in the event log the following command is run:

Command Line: "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" /D /C start C:\WINDOWS\system32\ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache

After doing lots of searches on the interweb, I came across a post that suggested deleting the following keys:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{2D46B6DC-2207-486B-B523-A557E6D54B47}

And the 32-Bit equivalent key as well.

I did this after IE11 had installed and the machine rebooted but BEFORE the user logged on.  The prompt disappeared but IE11 didn't behave as it should do (we use GPO to set the homepage but IE11 was ignoring this and going straight to MSN), so we cannot use this as a solution.

Has anyone else run into the same problem out there?  I am drawing a blank here.  

Andy

Friday, June 26, 2015 10:58 AM

Answers

• OK, with the assistance of a Support Call, the issue has been found.

This was the response I got:

"What happens is that the SuggestedSites.dat is being read from the %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low"

"In a working scenario it should look for the file stored in the following location: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\SuggestedSites.dat."

"However, By default, Internet Explorer 11, saves the Temporary Internet Files and website data to the folder at the following location: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache"

"So when a user updates their IE from <IE11 to IE11. This is limited to users who, before updating to IE11, turned on “Suggested Sites” from settings. The impact is that ie4uinit.exe crashes."

It seems to be a known issue with MS then.  We have Sugested Sites turned on in our GPO.  Now subsequently disabled.

So by deleting the SuggestedSites.dat file in the first location, prior to upgrading IE11, the issue has now gone away for me and clients are upgrading to IE11 with no problems and everything is functioning OK.

Thank you for your assistance MS Support.  I hope this helps anyone else who is running into the same problem as me.

Andy

• Marked as answer by Hillsmeister Friday, August 14, 2015 2:40 PM
    Friday, August 14, 2015 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this problem occurs as soon as User login? If that it is, it would be better to access Safe Mode to check if it has same problem. After that, using Autoruns to check system startup items.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Then find possible culprit through Windows Startup items.

On the other hand, this problem can be caused by 3rd extension, you can access to the path below for more solution with this situation:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5353106e-5b19-4a26-8446-72bedf40b169/rightclick-context-menu-in-desktop-appearing-slow-win-81?forum=w8itprogeneral

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 29, 2015 6:41 AM
  • Hi Roger,

Yes the issue occurs right at the point the user logs in.  What I do notice is that this is a "one time" event.  Once the user clicks "Close the Program" then explorer.exe loads up and everything appears to be fine and IE11 appears to run normally.

When the user logs off and on again they do not get the issue and it cannot be reproduced and I am unable to see anything in troubleshooting tools afterwards.

Has anyone else experienced this issue when rolling out IE11 via SCCM 2012?  Even if this is a "one time" event we cannot push out IE11 in it's current form as we'd look rather unprofessional just asking users to simply click "Close the Program" when they are upgraded.

Andy

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 1:13 PM
  • OK, with the assistance of a Support Call, the issue has been found.

This was the response I got:

"What happens is that the SuggestedSites.dat is being read from the %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low"

"In a working scenario it should look for the file stored in the following location: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\SuggestedSites.dat."

"However, By default, Internet Explorer 11, saves the Temporary Internet Files and website data to the folder at the following location: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache"

"So when a user updates their IE from <IE11 to IE11. This is limited to users who, before updating to IE11, turned on “Suggested Sites” from settings. The impact is that ie4uinit.exe crashes."

It seems to be a known issue with MS then.  We have Sugested Sites turned on in our GPO.  Now subsequently disabled.

So by deleting the SuggestedSites.dat file in the first location, prior to upgrading IE11, the issue has now gone away for me and clients are upgrading to IE11 with no problems and everything is functioning OK.

Thank you for your assistance MS Support.  I hope this helps anyone else who is running into the same problem as me.

Andy

• Marked as answer by Hillsmeister Friday, August 14, 2015 2:40 PM
    Friday, August 14, 2015 2:40 PM