windows could not set the offline locale information error durring install RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing Windows 7 on a clean harddrive.  It will get checkmarks on copying files, expanding files, and installing features then I recive the following error "windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code 0x80FF0000" 

I am installing this on a Lenovo T61 with 2gb of ram and an 80gb SATA HDD.  This computer normally runs vista just fine.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:04 PM

Answers

• I formated the drive using the Windows 7 DVD. 

I didn't find an answer on microsofts site either. What I did find was similar issues with installing vista, and all but one issue didn't apply to me, and that was that the drive might be bad. 

I ran a BIOS HDD check and it came back as a failed drive.  When I get back to the office I will grab another HDD and try agian to see if that was the problem.

Thanks for the reply.
    • Marked as answer by Anthony Powell Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:53 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 1:47 AM

All replies

• Was teh drive formatted before the install?  I have searched around for this Stop Error code and it is not listed anywhere on Microsoft's site.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:38 PM
  • I formated the drive using the Windows 7 DVD. 

I didn't find an answer on microsofts site either. What I did find was similar issues with installing vista, and all but one issue didn't apply to me, and that was that the drive might be bad. 

I ran a BIOS HDD check and it came back as a failed drive.  When I get back to the office I will grab another HDD and try agian to see if that was the problem.

Thanks for the reply.
    • Marked as answer by Anthony Powell Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:53 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 1:47 AM
  • That was the issue.  I grabbed a known working harddrive cloned my existing harddrive onto it and it upgraded just fine.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:54 PM
  • One of my friends just brought his Sony Vaio laptop to my Houston computer repair shop. While analyzing it, I found out that everything on the HDD was lost. So what I tried to make was a FRESH installation of the system.

These are the characteristics for the Laptop:

Sony Vaio Model PCG-6S1L
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB Ram
    Windows Vista Business

However while installing and before even to get transferring the files to HDD. I got the following error from the Install Windows Screen

"Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code:0x80FF0000"

I did the following troubleshooting.

1. I checked the BIOS time and date. I checked that those were correct from my location.

2. I checked the HDD on another computer. The HDD was recognized and readable. Howevere I can just notice that everytime I was tryingin to access the HDD there was a delay that was not normal. Whick made me think that there was something wrong with the HDD.

3. Also I tried another HDD on the laptop to see if the installation process will work in a know working HDD. However the HDD was causing the laptop to not even go to the booting proccess. So I'm going to try a brand new HDD tomorrow and see what happen.

Any comments will be helpful......

Friday, August 7, 2009 6:26 AM
  • I'm sorry for reviving such an old topic, but I received this same error code, I tried installing a fresh Windows 7 install via optical drive and via USB but neither worked and I got varying errors. Sometimes I would get an error saying "The setup cannot continue because of some corrupted setup files". And lately, my hard-disk has been acting up, it's been really slow. So, I've drawn the only possible conclusion that my hard-disk must be at fault. I'll try a fresh install with a new hard disk and report back so that we can at least classify this error and help others to determine the cause of this error.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:33 PM
  • So it is safe to conclude that the above mentioned errors are seen when there is a hard drive failure?
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:57 PM