Crash on startup: Stop 0x0000008E and 0x00000000A Repairs/Restores Fail RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I was playing WoW . Less then 2 hours before I recieved a crash I downloaded Avira Antivir and Steam. While playing WoW I had Steam downloading the demo for Audiosurf. I alt-tabbed from WoW and saw that the download was at 80% and went back to WoW. After a couple of minutes I went to check the download and my screen froze after I alt-tabbed for 3 seconds and a blue screen appeared. Ever since then I was only able to log on to my computer with Safe mode with command prompt. Everytime I start in Normal mode, safe mode, or safe mode with network connection I am unable to stay on for over 5 seconds with out the crash.

I tried restarting about 5 times and this is what the BSOD says:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8E125B3A, 0x9CDFB764, 0x00000000)

I then went into safe mode and tried to do a system restore. I figured since Steam or Avira was the source of the problem I would go to a restore point right before I installed them. The system recovery lasted about 2 hours before I decided to pull the plug. I then went into startup repair and tried all the functions except the factory image restore and all of them failed to work( I do not have my system restore disk that came with my computer so that may work if I can get my hands on one).

Now, if I go into normal mode it crashes before I can even get to the login screen with a 0x00000000A blue screen.

I do not have my manual or system restore disk. I know that on the blue screen it mentions BIOS caching or shadowing and updating BIOS but I have no idea on how to configure these. Another thing is that I bought my computer with Vista already on it in January and I have not added any hardware or drivers.

Am I able to fix this myself or will I have to take it to a repairstore?
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Kutch

The blue screen errors you mentioned are most often associated with corrupt display drivers. This may have been the result when the game was running and the system locked up.

If you are still seeing a blue screen, look closely at the information on that screen and you should see the driver mentioned where the problem is occuring.

Since you can get to the Safe Boot screen (F8) you can select the 'Enable VGA Mode' option. This will cause the system to boot in normal mode and bypass the installed graphic card drivers.

The screen will look ugly since it will be in the standard 640x480 resolution.

From there, you can go to the manufacturers website for your graphic card and download / reinstall the latest drivers for the graphic card. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

If this doesn't work, your best strategy to avoid any expense would be to contact the support for the computer maker. They may have some proprietary recovery options that aren't immediately apparent on the system.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, December 21, 2008 1:26 AM