Outlook Folder Pane Refuses To Cooperate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My Outlook has gone mad and refuses to pin the folder panel to the left side of its window. Also, under View tab on the ribbon, Normal and Off are greyed out. I have tried to get help for this through Microsoft support and Microsoft Office365 Business support but they said I need to go through paid support :(

Does anybody know how to get the folder panel back without paying Microsoft $499?

• Moved by Perry-Pan Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:32 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2018 3:20 AM

Answers

• Hi

Short of reinstalling Windows, I have done every type of repair I could think of. This is, most likely, a bug in how Outlook detects being on a narrower screen. I ended up disabling detection of narrower screens all together as a stopgap measure (suggested by Barry Xie) but please tell your programmers to use common sense and check Outlook's window size instead of screen size.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by I am who I am Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:33 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hi

have you tried to start Outlook with the different repair switches?

outlook.exe /resetfolders

Check out the other posibilities to fix your Outlook:

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/commandlineswitches.htm

Monday, June 4, 2018 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean Folder pane remains minimized and both normal and off are greyed out?

Based on my knowledge, if outlook is on a narrow screen (or in a narrow window), the folder list is minimized intentionally. Is this the case for you?

In case there is a corrupted view setting, please try reset view via Outlook.exe /cleanviews command switch. To do this, please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /cleanviews and then press Enter.

If issue continues, please click the Options under View > Reading Pane. Untick "turn on automatic full-screen reading in portrait orientation" to check the results.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:23 AM
  • Hi

Short of reinstalling Windows, I have done every type of repair I could think of. This is, most likely, a bug in how Outlook detects being on a narrower screen. I ended up disabling detection of narrower screens all together as a stopgap measure (suggested by Barry Xie) but please tell your programmers to use common sense and check Outlook's window size instead of screen size.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by I am who I am Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:33 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback here. If you have more concern, you could also send us suggestions via File > Feedback.

By the way, would you mind marking your reply as answer so that it will benefit other forum members in this forum?

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:33 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:32 AM