Privacy settings keep changing back to default on my Windows 8.1 machine RRS feed

• Question

• My privacy settings on my Win 8.1 ENT machine have changed back to defaults several times. I haven't kept good track of how often because I didn't think they should ever change from where I had set them when I performed the installation. It's a domain joined machine but we don't have any Group Policy settings (if there are any) for the privacy settings. I suspect it may happen when updates are received and will try to pay attention after we do patching here shortly, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if they are, if they've managed to figure out what is the cause.

Thanks.

WB

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:57 PM

All replies

• If you are experiencing the Windows 10 upgrade offer keeps recurring, take a look at Prevent Windows 8.1 Windows Update from downloading Windows 10 update over and over again.

For the other updates, take a look at Turn automatic updating on or off. You may also want to change how the updates get installed by either selecting Download updates but let me choose whether to install them or select Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

You can also take a look at Why the windows updates keep on coming back to be installed again every day?

Bruce Wooding Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 11:56 PM
  • That's not my issue. My issue is that if I turn privacy settings such as "Use My Location" off, at some point it changes back to on. It has done this 3 or 4 times.

We distribute updates via SCCM/WSUS. We have someone who monitors these before they are deployed and to be honest, I doubt MSFT would put "reset privacy settings" in the description of the update.

I'm not sure when the changes have happened but I will be paying closer attention after updates come through to see if that is what indeed triggers it. I was hoping that someone else had already determined the cause, though.

WB

• Edited by WBrady1965 Thursday, November 12, 2015 12:12 AM Added/changed to be more relevant
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 12:09 AM
  • Hi WBrady1965,

Is there any third party software installed on the machine?
    According to my experience, some third party software may block the configurations.

"Use My Location" off"
    This configuration is related to this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\SENSOR\OVERRIDES\{BFA794E4-F964-4FDB-9OF6-51O56BFE4B44}
    "1" enable
    "0" disable

I didn`t think this behavior is caused by specific updates. We could try to audit this registry key to capture the culprit.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:24 AM
  • What do you mean by "may block the configurations?" All of the manual switches in PC settings had been changed back to Microsoft defaults.

I have a few third party applications such as a VPN client, Citrix Receiver and Chrome but other than that it's all Microsoft products (SQL Express, SQL Report Builder, RSAT, WDK, SDK, SCCM console, AD replication status tool, Office,etc.)

The only thing that auto-updates is Chrome and Chrome just did an update and nothing in my privacy settings changed.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:40 PM
  • Hi WBrady1965,

As far as I know, some third party antivirus software will result in this behavior(I have come across the similar case before).
    However we could try to perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

To capture the culprit, we could try to audit the registry key as I posted before.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 13, 2015 1:59 AM
  • Please don't mark things that haven't been tested or proven to resolve my issue as "the answer." If you know that a particular anti-virus causes this exact issue, please let me know what AV it is and if it matches mine, then let me address this with my vendor and verify that their application is at the root of my problems. It's not an answer until it results in an actual, tangible, definitive solution.

WB

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:23 AM
  • Hi WBrady1965,

Proposing the reply is just a trigger. This case has not been marked.
    I hope my clarification will be helpful. I am looking forward to your good news.

Best regards

Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:02 AM