FireFox 18.0.2 on AppV 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

•                I Sequenced FireFox 18.0.2 on Appv 5.0.

Added mozilla.cfg           to            C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox

Contents of mozilla.cfg as follows:

//

.//Disable updates

.lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);

.lockPref("app.update.auto", false);

.lockPref("app.update.mode", 0);

.lockPref("extensions.update.enabled", false);

.lockPref("browser.serach.update", false);

Added  local-settings.js                to           C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\ defaults\pref\    

Contents of  local-settings.js   as follows:

.//Config file is plain text

.pref('’general.config.obscure_value”, 0);

.//This is the config file

.pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");

Added       local-settings.js to   Scripts under Package files:

But when I try to open Firefox, after sequencing, I get the following error:

Failed to read the configuration file. Please contact your system administrator.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:02 AM

Answers

• I'm not sure if your content of local-settings.js and mozilla.cfg is correct. Maybe you typed it wrong, and there should be no dots in it at the front of each row? I also do see some single quotes...

Anyhow, this should be the right content:

C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\mozilla.cfg

//Disable updates
    lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);
    lockPref("app.update.auto", false);
    lockPref("app.update.mode", 0);
    lockPref("extensions.update.enabled", false);
    lockPref("browser.serach.update", false);

C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\local-settings.js

//Config file is plain text
    pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
    //This is the config file
    pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");

And also be sure that local-settings.js is placed under %installdir%\defaults\pref

Monday, February 18, 2013 4:12 PM

All replies

• I sequenced FireFox 18.0.2 on Appv 5.0.

Added mozilla.cfg           to            C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox

Contents of mozilla.cfg as follows:

.//

.//Disable updates

.lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);

.lockPref("app.update.auto", false);

.lockPref("app.update.mode", 0);

.lockPref("extensions.update.enabled", false);

.lockPref("browser.serach.update", false);

Added  local-settings.js                to           C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\ defaults\pref\    

Contents of  local-settings.js   as follows:

.//Config file is plain text

.pref('’general.config.obscure_value”, 0);

.//This is the config file

.pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");

Added       local-settings.js to   Scripts under Package files:

But when I try to open Firefox, after sequencing, I get the following error:

Failed to read the configuration file. Please contact your system administrator.

Can anybody tell me what the problem is???

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:12 AM
    • Have you confirmed that this configuration works when installing Firefox (i.e. without the Sequencer running)?
    • Why are you putting a copy of local-settings.js in the Scripts folder?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:48 AM
  • I'm not sure if your content of local-settings.js and mozilla.cfg is correct. Maybe you typed it wrong, and there should be no dots in it at the front of each row? I also do see some single quotes...

Anyhow, this should be the right content:

C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\mozilla.cfg

//Disable updates
    lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);
    lockPref("app.update.auto", false);
    lockPref("app.update.mode", 0);
    lockPref("extensions.update.enabled", false);
    lockPref("browser.serach.update", false);

C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\local-settings.js

//Config file is plain text
    pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
    //This is the config file
    pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");

And also be sure that local-settings.js is placed under %installdir%\defaults\pref

Monday, February 18, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Thanks Tiberivs!

Editing the mozilla.cfg & local-settings.js file accroding to your method fixed it.

BTW where can I find the userChrome.css folder? I need to clear bookmarks while sequencing. Is that done under userChrome.css folder? Should it be under  C:\Users\<Windows login/user name >\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>

In my case the Windows login/user name is App-V Sequencer. But can't find that particular file.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:00 AM
  • UserChrome.css should be placed under C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\chrome\userChrome.css". With this file you can hide user interface elements like:

/* Options - Advanced - General - System Defaults */
    #systemDefaultsGroup { display: none !important; }
    /* Options / Advanced / Updates / Firefox checkbox */
    #enableAppUpdate { display: none !important; }
    /* Help - About - Check for Updates button */
    #updateButton { display: none !important; }

Why do you want to clear bookmarks during sequence? There should be no bookmarks while installing firefox for the first time on your sequence machine.
    OR do you want to implement this for your end-users, so that their bookmarks get cleared of something?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:12 AM
  • After sequencing        C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\ has only pref folder. Are we to create profile\chrome?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Yes, that folder isn't created unless you do that manually. userChrome.css is a custom file that isn't included in a standard Firefox setup, so the administrator is required to modify the default install.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Also take a look at Aaron's recipe, it's for Firefox13 on 4.6SP1, but this will also work for newer versions up to 18 (incl appv 4.6sp2 or app-v5).

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Here is the script that I use. This way, when a new version is released all I need to do is download the latest exe, rename it to FirefoxSetup.exe, copy the exe (along with your customizations) over to your sequencer and install. Thanks to Aaron.Parker for leading me into the right direction.

REM @ECHO OFF
    SET SOURCE=%~dp0
    SET SOURCE=%SOURCE:~0,-1%
    SET INSTALLPATH=%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox
    REM Create the Firefox answer file
    ECHO [Install] > %SOURCE%\Firefox.ini
    REM InstallDirectoryName=Firefox >> %SOURCE%\Firefox.ini
    ECHO InstallDirectoryPath=%INSTALLPATH% >> %SOURCE%\Firefox.ini
    ECHO QuickLaunchShortcut=false >> %SOURCE%\Firefox.ini ECHO DesktopShortcut=false >> %SOURCE%\Firefox.ini
    ECHO StartMenuShortcuts=true >> %SOURCE%\Firefox.ini
    ECHO MaintenanceService=false >> %SOURCE%\Firefox.ini
    REM Install Firefox - the START command will not work if the Firefox setup filename includes spaces
    START /WAIT /D %SOURCE% FirefoxSetup.exe /INI=%SOURCE%\Firefox.ini
    REM Configure Firefox profile defaults and preferences locking
    IF NOT EXIST "%INSTALLPATH%\defaults\profile\chrome" MD "%INSTALLPATH%\defaults\profile\chrome"
    COPY /Y %SOURCE%\userChrome.css "%INSTALLPATH%\defaults\profile\chrome\userChrome.css"
    IF NOT EXIST "%INSTALLPATH%\defaults\pref" MD "%INSTALLPATH%\defaults\pref"
    COPY /Y %SOURCE%\local-settings.js "%INSTALLPATH%\defaults\pref\local-settings.js"
    COPY /Y %SOURCE%\Mozilla.cfg "%INSTALLPATH%\Mozilla.cfg"
    COPY /Y %SOURCE%\override.ini "%INSTALLPATH%\override.ini"
    REM Disable the Mozilla Maintenance Service to prevent updates (in the event the service is installed)
    sc config MozillaMaintenance start= disabled

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:59 PM