Incident notification not showing data for "Affects Service" substitution string variable RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm trying to design a notification template in Service Manager 2016 to notify users of a new incident.  I'm using the substitution strings for the Incident title, affected user, description, and urgency and they are all working as expected, but the substitution string for the affected service never shows any data in the resulting email.  The substitution string added to the template when I go to "Insert..." > Incident / Affects Service > "Display name" is:

$Context/Path[Relationship='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItemImpactsService' TypeConstraint='CustomSystem_Library!System.Service']$?$DisplayName$?

This resolves to an empty string in the notification.  If I change the end from $?$DisplayName$? to /DisplayName$ the whole substitution string is displayed in the resulting email.

How can I get the SCSM notification to include the Incident's affected service?

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi

Testing in a lab, I got the same result as you. So I had a look at the Incident using the SCSM Entity Explorer (a very useful tool from Dieter Gasser).

From this I could see that the relationship used was WorkItemAboutConfigItem rather than WorkItemImpactsService. Change this is the template and it should display the services name.

Using the example above it should be:

$Context/Path[Relationship='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItemAboutConfigItem' TypeConstraint='CustomSystem_Library!System.Service']$?$DisplayName$? 

This could be a multi-valued result if two or more services are listed. They display as comma separated values. 

I have only tested using the Email Template Tester from itnetx - another great free tool that helps troubleshooting email notification templates.

Regards

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

Saturday, December 9, 2017 11:47 PM