none
The remote desktop gateway server is temporarily unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I publish my RemoteApp program to RDWeb. I can access RDWeb and open it without any problem from any computer within the same domain. If I would like to access the same RDWeb from another domain, I can still open the RDWeb page, but when I open any program, I will get the error:

"Your computer cannot connect to the remote computer because the Remote Desktop Gateway server is temporarily unavailable".

I check the Remote Desktop Gateway service is running.

Any idea,

Thanks,

Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:12 AM

Answers

• Thanks, so I can remove RD Gateway for my scenarios (two separate domains but within the same LAN, these two domains haven't been setup with any trust)?

Yes, you can remove RD Gateway if you want.

My guess is you don't have a DNS record created so the other domain PCs can resolve the FQDN of the RDS servers.  For example, when a user launches a RemoteApp from the other domain PCs, a prompt will appear with Remote computer: <fqdn> on it.  They need to be able to resolve (and connect to) that FQDN, but my guess is they can't because DNS hasn't been configured properly.

One thing you could do is create a forward lookup zone for the RDS domain over on the other domain, and then create DNS records for necessary FQDNs.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP, Moderator Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by MASTER AX Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:08 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please verify that the FQDN for the RD Gateway server, when accessed from a computer in another domain, resolves to the correct ip address for the RD Gateway, and that TCP port 443 and UDP port 3391 are open.  If necessary, please verify that the packets from the client PC in the other domain are actually making it to the RD Gateway by running a wireshark or netmon capture on the RDG server while attempting to connect.

Often there may be proxy settings, firewall, routing, DNS issues, etc., that will block proper communication between client and RD Gateway.

Thanks.

-TP

Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:50 AM
  • Thanks for your prompt response.

Very limited knowledge in this area.

In the RD Gateway server, my FQDN is MMAProdRDS.powerco.local, I am not sure if this is the problem. Should I use MMAProdRDS.powerco.com ??

Regards,

Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

Normally the FQDN for RD Gateway is a public-registered domain, as in your MMAProdRDS.powerco.com example.  The RD Gateway is what external clients connect to [via the Internet] so it makes sense why it is a public FQDN.  If the client PCs always connect via private networks, VPN, etc., then the FQDN could be internal.

Some notes:

On the public Internet, you need a DNS A record for MMAProdRDS.powerco.com pointing to the public ip address of the RD Gateway server.  On the firewall, TCP port 443 and UDP port 3391 need to be forwarded to the RDG server.  On the LAN, you need a DNS A record for MMAProdRDS.powerco.com pointing to the private ip address of the RD Gateway server, if you plan to use RD Gateway from LAN PCs.

You need a certificate from a trusted public authority such as GeoTrust, GoDaddy, Thawte, Comodo, GlobalSign, etc., for MMAProdRDS.powerco.com and this certificate needs to be assigned to the RD Gateway in Server Manager -- RDS -- Overview -- Deployment Overview -- Tasks -- Edit Deployment Properties -- Certificates tab.

-TP

Saturday, October 15, 2016 3:18 AM
  • Thanks TP,

Actually we have two domains - powerco.local and powercoDev.local, and these two servers can be pinged using private IP addresses (10.86.61.47, 10.86.61.69). If I ping the server MMAProdRDS.powerco.local from 10.86.61.69, it is not accessible, do you think if this is the issue, and can I change the FQDN to ip address?

Regards,

Saturday, October 15, 2016 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

I don't know if that is the problem or not. You may have firewall blocking pings.

The FQDN you use needs to match the name on the certificate used for the RD Gateway, and the certificate must be trusted by the client PC.

If the clients are all on the same LAN then RD Gateway isn't needed.

-TP

Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:08 AM
  • If the clients are all on the same LAN then RD Gateway isn't needed.

Thanks, so I can remove RD Gateway for my scenarios (two separate domains but within the same LAN, these two domains haven't been setup with any trust)?

Regards,

Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:12 AM
  • Thanks, so I can remove RD Gateway for my scenarios (two separate domains but within the same LAN, these two domains haven't been setup with any trust)?

Yes, you can remove RD Gateway if you want.

My guess is you don't have a DNS record created so the other domain PCs can resolve the FQDN of the RDS servers.  For example, when a user launches a RemoteApp from the other domain PCs, a prompt will appear with Remote computer: <fqdn> on it.  They need to be able to resolve (and connect to) that FQDN, but my guess is they can't because DNS hasn't been configured properly.

One thing you could do is create a forward lookup zone for the RDS domain over on the other domain, and then create DNS records for necessary FQDNs.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP, Moderator Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by MASTER AX Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:08 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:33 AM
  • you need to check that you are able to ping required server or not and also check the required port.

Best Regards,

Sandeep Poonia

• Edited by S-K_P Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:05 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:03 AM
  • One thing you could do is create a forward lookup zone for the RDS domain over on the other domain, and then create DNS records for necessary FQDNs.

-TP

Thank you so much!!!!

You save my day, after I add a new zone and DNS record, this issue resolved!!

Thanks again!!

Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:03 AM
  • For me it was cloudflare sitting between me and the RDS gateway and messing with the SSL tunnel. Check the SSL cert on your RDWeb portal and make sure it's what you think it should be
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:19 AM