Why is Rebuild Index so slow? RRS feed

• Question

• Below is my original post.  Thus far my Rebuild Index has run around the clock for about 34 hours and it is up to 71,000 items  Is this normal to take so long?  I am on pace to take 1-2 weeks to rebuild the index and that seems crazy to me.

thx

Vista Ultimate

My machine always seems to be thrashing so I performed CHKDSK, Defrag, etc.  Still seems to have way too much activity.  I look at Indexing Options and it has 300k+ items indexed.  The list of directories appears to include some directories that I don't want to have indexed as they are listed in "Included Locations."  I tried to remove those locations, but they look to me like they shouldn't be included.  They are not in any check boxed folder. 

Anyway, right now I am rebuilding the indexes.  It has been running for 9 hours so far and only is up to 25,000 items.  Before I started the rebuild I unloaded the Trend MIcro anti virus and the Carbonite backup and shut down every application.  Is this normal?  At this rate it will take 12 days to reindex.

Thank you

Russell Baker
    Monday, January 3, 2011 12:13 PM

Answers

• Sabrina,

You started me on the path to the solution.  I had already read the link you provided on "How do I remove..."  I rebooted clean as you suggested.  The results were the same.  That is to say, there were many more items listed as "included locations" than had a check box next to them if one were to look them up on the "Modify" screen. 

Here is the solution.  (I would say this is a bug in Vista.)  If I go to the Modify screen there are 2 locations listed.  Microsoft Office Outlook and Offline Files.  The checkbox to the left of Microsoft Office Outlook has a check in it.  This is consistent with the fact that Microsoft Office Outlook is listed as an Indexed Location.  To the left of Offline Files there is NO check in the checkbox.  This is NOT CONSISTENT with the fact there there are several directory locations listed as an Indexed Location.  However, if I then click on Show All Locations, and then expand the directory tree for C:\ which appears (also with NO checkbox at the root level) I then see that some of the subdirectories do in fact have a checkbox next to them indicating that they should be an Indexed Location.

Summary:  I believe any checkbox on a subdirectory should propagate up to the root in the display.  This would indicate to the viewer that either the root directory or something under it is designated as an Indexed Location.

Thank you very much for your assistance Sabrina.  If you hadn't started me down that path I wouldn't have discovered the true answer.

Regards

Russell Baker
    • Marked as answer by xrbbaker Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:52 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:52 PM

All replies

• ·          

Hi Russell,

You may refer to the steps in the following link to modify the Indexing Options.

How do I remove a location I rarely use from the index?

Also, please test the issue in Clean Boot.

Reference:

Configure search indexing options for Windows Vista and 7

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Sabrina,

You started me on the path to the solution.  I had already read the link you provided on "How do I remove..."  I rebooted clean as you suggested.  The results were the same.  That is to say, there were many more items listed as "included locations" than had a check box next to them if one were to look them up on the "Modify" screen. 

Here is the solution.  (I would say this is a bug in Vista.)  If I go to the Modify screen there are 2 locations listed.  Microsoft Office Outlook and Offline Files.  The checkbox to the left of Microsoft Office Outlook has a check in it.  This is consistent with the fact that Microsoft Office Outlook is listed as an Indexed Location.  To the left of Offline Files there is NO check in the checkbox.  This is NOT CONSISTENT with the fact there there are several directory locations listed as an Indexed Location.  However, if I then click on Show All Locations, and then expand the directory tree for C:\ which appears (also with NO checkbox at the root level) I then see that some of the subdirectories do in fact have a checkbox next to them indicating that they should be an Indexed Location.

Summary:  I believe any checkbox on a subdirectory should propagate up to the root in the display.  This would indicate to the viewer that either the root directory or something under it is designated as an Indexed Location.

Thank you very much for your assistance Sabrina.  If you hadn't started me down that path I wouldn't have discovered the true answer.

Regards

Russell Baker
    • Marked as answer by xrbbaker Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:52 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:52 PM