Windows 7 logon screen resolution / refresh rate RRS feed

• Question

• Today I upgraded my Vista Ultimate HTPC to Windows 7 Ultimate. My HTPC has 2 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz CPU, EVGA GeForce 7600GS 256MB PCI-E video card connected via component video to a Sony television (CRT, not LCD or plasma). The Vista machine worked great for the past two years that I've had it.

My problem is that after upgrading, I can't see the Win7 logon screen. Using Safe Mode I can see the logon screen at the expected 800 x 600 resolution, but can't run the NVidia control panel to make any adjustments. I can Remote Desktop to the HTPC as well, but again can't make any adjustments to resolution or refresh rate. I was able to install latest drivers in Remote Desktop, but can't make any adjustments.

I hooked up my monitor to the VGA and DVI output on the EVGA card and couldn't get a signal. It seems that I can only get S-Video output. I can't remember if this was a setting that I enabled when I originally set up the HTPC and can't confirm my hypothesis because I can't run any of the NVidia tools in Safe Mode.

I had also enabled the Intel on-board video and connected my monitor. It worked, but I can only change settings for integrated video, not the EVGA card.

I think that I need to make the adjustments in the registry to set the resolution to 800 X 600 and 59 refresh, but can't seem to find the right location to make the changes. Any ideas?

Saturday, January 2, 2010 12:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

You mentioned that you cannot see the win7 logon screen in normal mode, but you can see tge logon screen in safe mode. Can you see the logon image in normal mode? Do you just see a black screen?

Try boot the computer to low-resolution video(640*480):

1. Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured to boot multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.
    2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select 'enable low-resolution video(640*480)', and then press Enter.

What' s result?

Thomas77
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Hi Bryantb2,

According to your problem description, it looks like a hardware issue.

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS for the motherboard first.

If it does not work, I would like to suggest you uninstall and reinstall the NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS driver in Safe Mode to check the issue.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

In addition, you may ignore the screen refresh rate issue. For more information, please read the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

Screen refresh rate in Windows 7 does not apply the user selected settings on monitors & TVs (that report specific TV compatible timings)

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:43 AM