Move WLM email folders and messages to new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I am upgrading my wife to a new Win7 computer. Both machines are Win7 Pro-64 and she has been using WLM on the old machine for about a year.

I used Easy Transfer which did a good job of moving all documents and images but it did not move any emails or email folders. She has a large amount of existing folders, subfolders, and messages.

I would appreciate someone telling me how to migrate all the messages and folders.

Thanks,

Tom

Friday, May 6, 2011 10:39 PM

All replies

• You can actually customize which folders and files are exported with WET.  That way you get exactly what you want and not the default items.

After WET does its scan you then can customize what get transfered by clicking on Customize for each category listed and then Advanced for more options.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Rick,

I appreciate your answer. Unfortunately, I still have questions.

Do you know if WET will exactly duplicate an email account in WLM with the same folder structure as on the old machine? Or, will it dump all the messages together. I was surprised when WET did not do anything with the email files when I transferred all the other files.

In fact, it may have transferred the files but because I had not rebuilt the email accounts on the new computer before the transfer, maybe the stored files have already transferred but just not accessable yet.  They would be out of date by now and need to be refreshed.

Before I transfer the mail storage files again, do I need to rebuild the Accounts in WLM? She has two email accounts in WLM.

I am surprised that MS has not made an easier way to do this since I am not the first person to get a new computer and need to transfer over a lot of emails.  Everyone does not use Web Mail.

I was able to transfer the contacts with the Live account. Is it possible I have missed something in Live to move all the messages to the Cloud?

Any help appreciated.

Tom

TW Brown
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:52 AM
  • WET will place the files the same as they were on the original machine.  You mail files did not transfer before because they were not automatically selected.  I have used WET and I made sure my mail files & folders were included included in the export.  WET then placed the mail files in the correct location on the new machine.

WET does no transfer any programs at all.  You will need to install WLM on the new machine using the exact same settings as you did on the old machine.  I personally have three mail accounts.  I imported my mail files before installing the mail program on the new machine.  If you import them first and use the same settings for the accounts, there should not be any problem with accessing and using WLM after all is done.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, May 16, 2011 7:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by WhaleDriverTom Monday, May 16, 2011 11:55 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Rick,

Thanks for hanging with me on this one.  Unfortunately, the reason I was trying to resolve this was that I had to leave town for a work assignment for 6 weeks and wanted to try to get my wife's email stablized before leaving.

I was not able to get her emails transferred and stabilized before I left so I had to put it on the back burner. I'll attack it again when I return home in the middle of June.  Meanwhile, she is still working with her old computer and emails and her new Win7 Pro, i7 machine is sitting idle.

But, I would like to leave this thread open until I get back on it as I think you have probably given me the clues I need. I'll let you know.

Tom

TW Brown
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:05 AM
  • Ok, I am back in town and ready to give this another try. I'll let you know how it works out.  I do go into this project with some unanswered questions but will probably be involved in it before any answer comes back.  Again, I will say that I am surprised that MS has not made this easier.

Rick previously said "I imported my mail files before installing the mail program on the new machine.  If you import them first and use the same settings for the accounts, there should not be any problem with accessing and using WLM after all is done."

Does this imply that you EXPORTED the emails first or are you referring to the Windows Easy Transfer process?

I'll be back,

Tom

TW Brown
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:20 PM
  • One other question comes to mind. If WET works ok to move all the emails over, I would think it should be possible to just drag and drop the correct folders (c:\users\CHRIS\app data\local\microsoft\windows live mail) across my network to the new computer.  But, I seem to recall reading that it's not possible.

My main hope is to get all the emails in the existing folders and subfolders into the correct places on the new machine without having to go in and do a massive reconstruction.

Thanks,

Tom

TW Brown
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:28 PM
  • I did something like that as part of a recent hardware upgrade.

I was able to create copies of the accounts on the new machine, and then copy the folders over them. (I don't recall the exact order.) I wasn't able to get Windows Live Mail to recognize the contacts list, though. (I had a backup of that in gmail. I exported the list as a .vcf file, and was able to import that into WLM.)

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:02 AM
  • I think I am in the process of doing the same thing but with 57,000 items, it's taking a while. I am pretty confident and hope I am not disappointed.  Will advise.

I was able to get the contacts over to the new maching by going to Windows Live and uploading them to Live and then downloading them back to the other computer through Live.

TW Brown
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Well, that didn't work out well at all.

I let WET move over all the files and settings on the old computer and when I started Windows Live Mail on the new computer, the Account Names and the subfolders were all garbled.  For example, Chris' AT&T account turned out to something "Chri 3T& b14."  Many of the subfolders were misplaced and some folders were empty.

Also, there were over 1000 file errors but when I told WET to Retry, it resolved all but one which was C:\Users. I don't know what the error messages were about.

So, I have had to go back and reinstall Win 7 Pro to start over.  Any suggestions on a better way to migrate my WLM email accounts?

Thanks,

Tom

TW Brown
    Friday, June 24, 2011 6:50 PM