none
actual cost percentage distribution RRS feed

• Question

• hi!

i want to track my actual cost percentage regardless of the time. 

I know the %complete is actual duration / baseline duration. I need to see a percentage field in a column which shows the percentage. My resources are "cost" resources

for example there is a project. Duration 50 days and 2 tasks. A and B ,  A:20 days  B:30 days and A and B have the same cost.

B starts when A finished.

and at the 20th day A finishes and i want to see that percentage column 50%

For all tasks and subtasks.

Thanks

• Edited by selcukz Monday, January 20, 2014 10:23 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 10:16 AM

All replies

• If i understood correctly you want % cost complete for task and summary task .

For that you need to create one custom field and write formula. i have tried same see the image

Formula"

[Actual Cost]/[Cost]*100 & "%"

let me know if it works.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Monday, January 20, 2014 11:24 AM Missed the image
    Monday, January 20, 2014 10:54 AM
  • A small correction is necessary immediately. % Complete = actual duration/total duration where total duration = actual duration + remaining duration.

Baseline duration doesn't come into it.

When you say "I need to see a percentage field in a column which shows the percentage", the question is "percentage of what"?

Let's say A and B have the same cost, $50 each, assigned as 50 units of a cost type resource named "cost of A" and "cost of B" respectively.

If A started as scheduled and finishes as scheduled with 20 days actual duration then at the end of day 20 (the status date) you can "mark on track" (there's a button for it on the ribbon). Note that you can't do this if A did not start as scheduled and finish as scheduled and have an actual duration of 20 days.

MSP calculates the actual cost, which is the $50 for task A. There is no field built in to MSP for actual cost/total cost or the % cost, but it is easy to make one with a custom field. Just right click on the heading of any column, insert field, customise field, and write the formula:

([actual cost]/[cost])*100&" %"

... and there it is.

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:17 AM
  • thanks kirtesh,

i did the same but i cannot see the summary task's percentage in the field.In your example you can see it. Why?

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:39 AM
  • thank you trevor
    Monday, January 20, 2014 11:39 AM
  • When you write formula :

Calculation for task and group summary row select use formula

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Monday, January 20, 2014 11:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Kirteshtiw Monday, January 20, 2014 11:47 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 11:43 AM