Windows Media Centre file delete option...why, just why? RRS feed

• Question

• I really dont understand why this option was ever included in Media Centre to begin with let alone why it was included in the (excellent) new version. This delete option is a complete pain because my children are accidentally deleting movie files from the centre by accident. Why would anyone need to manage their media from media centre in the first place? And even if you do, surely there should be an option to turn it off? The only way around this, as I understand it, is to create different user accounts and set different permissions on every file but that is an awful lot of effort for what is, in my opinion, a fairly useless feature.
    I hope Microsoft sort this out because my videos are too precious for Media Centre to just delete them at the click of a button - if I want to delete them I'll di it in windows, I really dont see how this feature is nessecary. Please sort it Microsoft.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Murphio,

I think the Delete feature in Windows Media Center is necessary. Some users would like to delete the media files from Windows Media Center directly. They can choose to delete the file from the library or from both the computer and the library. However, I agree it is a good idea to add a feature to disable the Delete option in Windows Media Center. I will help to forward your feedback to the related team. In the meantime, you can set the permission to avoid deleting files from Windows Media Center to prevent other users' misoperation.

Also, if you would like to prevent your children from watching some videos in Windows Media Center, you can set Parental Controls as well. For more information, please refer to the following articles:

Using Parental Controls

Parental Controls in Windows 7 and Windows Vista – Safer Internet day

Setup Parental Controls in Windows 7 Media Center

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:00 AM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

try Only Media...you can set it in Media Center on last menu..

I think, that this option is here because many users use you media center pc by tv without mouse and keyboard..
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hi thanks for the reply but I think you misunderstand the issue - the option to delete files still exists with or without Only Media enabled...cheers anyway though.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hi Murphio,

I think the Delete feature in Windows Media Center is necessary. Some users would like to delete the media files from Windows Media Center directly. They can choose to delete the file from the library or from both the computer and the library. However, I agree it is a good idea to add a feature to disable the Delete option in Windows Media Center. I will help to forward your feedback to the related team. In the meantime, you can set the permission to avoid deleting files from Windows Media Center to prevent other users' misoperation.

Also, if you would like to prevent your children from watching some videos in Windows Media Center, you can set Parental Controls as well. For more information, please refer to the following articles:

Using Parental Controls

Parental Controls in Windows 7 and Windows Vista – Safer Internet day

Setup Parental Controls in Windows 7 Media Center

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:00 AM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:28 AM
  • I know adding a program and having to figure something else out in the system isn't always ideal, but you could think about organizing videos with the 3rd party app Media Browser. There's no built in delete option for the video files, you can set parental ratings on files and you can store the files in a folder not indexed by WMC itself so they cannot be deleted. The Green Button site has tons of info about it there.

Again, I know it probably isn't ideal, but it might be your best route.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 1:54 AM
  • I have to agree. Whilst I know I must keep this to the original topic, and I will, this is just another shortcoming which makes WMC completely inadequate as a primary media device in a house with children. Whilst the apparent inability to actually apply parental controls (I'm told it works in the US, here in Aus I've been unable to get parental controls to do _anything_) and the inability to segregate media libraries by something akin to profiles (allowing kids to not only be unable to play restricted content, but completely hiding it from their view) are weaknesses, the 'delete' button actually poses a danger to a media library.

Not only should it be nested away in some specific "library source management" panel or somesuch, it is currently in the worst possible place ever. Who on _earth_ would think of putting "delete" effectively right next to "play". Yes a 10yo might get it, but my 3yo does not.

There absolutely positively needs to be a way to disable this. The fact that this cannot be disabled is enough to push me from WMC to another product, which is a shame because if the ability to restrict changes and access to content were there WMC as it stands would be first class.

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:39 AM
  • Same issue here too - we have a separate login for the kids (called "kids").  WMC seems too good to abandon for the sake of this issue.  I think one way to solve this would be to apply file permissions to the files to prevent their login from deleting files.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:17 AM
  • I was trying to just remove some music from Microsoft Media Center and did not know that just removing results in deletion of files.  Now I am missing all my iTunes files from music to apps! I am trying to restore them but the deleted files are not even in recycle bin.  My iTunes will not even open up right now.  Any tips so that I can get my deleted files back?
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Why o why would you need to ever permanently delete anything other than recorded T.V. ?

Why would you ever delete your music, your movies or your pictures from within the WMC program?

The only place there should be an option to delete is under recorded T.V.

To think my siblings can hop on the Xbox360 and accidentally delete movies or music stored on my computer from the living room scares me!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Some users of Media Center also download files, watch and then delete them all from within Media Center. Really, that shouldn't be too difficult to comprehend.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:35 AM
  • OKAY IF YOU WANT THIS OPTION TURNED OFF FOLLOW THE SOLUTION GUIDE I MADE/Modified SOLUTION GUIDE TO TURN OFF WMC DELETE OPTION!!!

www.youtube.com/user/Radical924

• Proposed as answer by Radical924 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:26 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:26 PM
  • I would like to be able to delete some tags sitting there in error but cannot do it, how do you manage it I am very interested in knowing how.

thank you in advance

Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Robert: it sounds like the issue you're experiencing is out of the scope of this thread. Please create a new question in this forum and include some more details.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Saturday, March 9, 2013 2:50 PM
  • you can try this,
    share your movie folder over your network with only Read permissions allowed.
    now map this shared folder to your drive, then add this mapped folder in your Media library of your windows media center. hopefully it will not delete the movie as it has no permission.

Friday, June 12, 2020 5:27 AM