How can I increase ALT+TAB "full-preview" time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody ::- ).

One thing which has me perpetually angry at the ALT+TAB application selection window in Windows 7, is that after a time (about 1 second) it hides the window I triggered it from, replacing it with the window of the currently selected application.

So let's say I'm typing this in FireFox and I press ALT + TAB. As soon as I do this, a timer starts. When it reaches about 1 second, it just hides my FireFox and shows me my Outlook, because that's the next window I have opened.

I don't like this behavior and I would like to know how to change it.

When I hit ALT + TAB I sometimes do it just to see what I have opened or I take a bit more than 1 second to decide where exactly I want to jump. Hiding my currently focused window is distracting & annoying. So I would like to somehow increase that interval to 5-10 seconds. Is this even possible?

IMPORTANT:
    - I found out about HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AltTab "LivePreview_ms" but it doesn't really do the trick. I set there 7000 (decimal) and it kinda' increased from 1 second to 2.5 seconds. Setting 15000 did no further change. Weird. And yes, I restarted explorer.exe all the time.
    - I also found out about HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced "DesktopLivePreviewHoverTime" and that doesn't help either.

Thank you in advance!
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use “Win”+ “Tab” to see the programs instead if you don’t want to change the current program.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 5, 2012 8:19 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can using LivePreview_ms to increase the delay time, however, according to the result in my lab, upper limit of the delay time is about 3s.

So you can set the time to 3s. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Friday, October 26, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Hi Vincent and thank you for your answer. Is there any way to remove that cap for the delay?

2.5 - 3 seconds is definitely better than the default of 1 second, but I would like to increase it a bit more. It's a bit frustrating that Microsoft has "locked" this setting this way.

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

You can use “Win”+ “Tab” to see the programs instead if you don’t want to change the current program.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 5, 2012 8:19 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:35 AM