none
Timesheet values change when pressing Save RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Project Web App 2010 to report my time. I only have limited facilities available to me, so I'm not able to understand why PWA is doing what it is.

Often when I am assigned to a task, I find PWA changes my time values for me to arbitrary other values, always smaller than the values I enter. So I might put 7.5 hours against a task for a particular day, then 4 hours the next day, then 7.5 again on the third (just example values). When I click Save, PWA might change them to 6.97, 3.06 and 7.10. 

I guess this is something to do with some kind of automatic balancing of time over a period. If I then round down the values, to smaller ones, PWA does it again. So say I change the 6.97 to 6.5 now, and the 3.06 to 3.0 and so on, then press Save. PWA will now say 6.32, 2.85 or some other arbitrary, but smaller values.

Can someone explain to me what is going on, please?

Nick

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:31 AM

All replies

• Nick,

this does sound weird ... could you please provide more information about the project and its tasks? Are they of Fixed Duration or Fixed Work? Are they effort driven?

Jan Cirpka

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Unfortunately I have no idea. How do I tell?

If I look at the tasks, they typically have a number of hours assigned to them, over a particular period. I guess that includes components of both approaches, but I don't know how to tell about the projects. As for "effort driven", I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't even understand that concept.

Thanks

Nick

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:01 PM
  • Also Nick, I would check with your server admin folks what Cumulative Updates they have loaded for Project Server 2010.  We have fixed some things around timesheets that sound like your problem - so best get up to date with the Cumulative Updates.  June was the most recent - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598355 .  The usual reason for some numbers changing is that the scheduling engine has for some reason 're-scheduled' the work - and in December 2011 we issued a fix that ensured none of these scheduling changes would affect the timesheets. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh694531.aspx for some best practices and this Live Meeting recording covered the changes introduced in the December CU -   https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/mseventsbmo/view?id=1032493964&role=attend&pw=5A2EBE71. These fixes are as the name suggests cumulative - so installing the June 2012 fix will get you the December changes too.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:28 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Brian, that sounds hopeful. I will attempt to contact my IT support folks and have them check what updates they have applied. This particular issue has had me tearing my hair out. The other day I came up against a new and even weirder manifestation. I tried to enter some time against a task which I knew had hours remaining, and every time I pressed "save", the time was removed from that task and entered in the row below - a completely unrelated task! I failed to resolve this, so it had to remain thus.

Timesheets always were a bit of a fairy story, but PWA seems to like to author them for you too! :)

Nick

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:46 AM