none
PWA - define roles and assign users to them, then filter web part by [me] RRS feed

• Question

• We have an instance of PWA/SharePoint in which we are trying to get the following functionality but cannot understand how:

1. For all projects we want to define 5 or 6 standard project roles (such as 'sponsor', 'senior user', etc.)
    2. For each project we then want to assign individuals to each role (not all roles will be filled for each project though)
    3. We want a list of who is assigned to each role to be shown in the project's PDP
    4. We want a view on the project centre to be filtered according to the account that it accessing it (in SharePoint we would use the [me] filter function, but not sure if there's a Project Server function similar). this was we can create a 'Sponsor's Dashboard' or similar in which only projects in which the viewer was the sponsor would be shown.

Can anyone help, provide article links or advise us on which approach we need to take to achieve this?

Friday, September 2, 2016 3:26 PM

All replies

• Andy,

Since you posted this question in Project Online forum, I will assume that you are using Project Online.

Few Pointers:

1) IN project Online, what you see AND what you can do depends on what your permissions are in the tool.

2) There are two Permissions modes, as SharePoint permissions mode, and a project server permissions mode. SharePoint Permissions mode, works similar to a SharePoint site collection, where you either give access to read, contribute or own.

3) Project Server permisisons mode gives you even more granular control. I suggest watching these videos to understand how it works. These videos were created using Microsoft Office Project Server 2007. Though there have been some changes in Project Server 2010 and Project Server 2013, the basic functionality around how Project Server security works remains the same.

With that, here is what I will suggest. This will not give you everything you need, but will get you closer:

Use Project Server Permission Mode:

1) Set up Security Groups based on your roles, based on what you want each role to "DO" in the system.

2) Set up the Security categories based on what you want each role to see. Assign the relevant views

3) For each project, use Project Permissions, and assign each group and what they can do on the project.

4) Add people to the respective groups.

In the long run, I suggest you control everything by groups and categories and manage everything centrally.

As far as displaying on PDPs, I cannot think of a way to add security groups to a PDP.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, September 2, 2016 3:41 PM