none
Event ID 4098 Group Policy Printers

Question

• Hi guys,

I know that this problem was discussed already a lot of time but what I found was only when the printers are deployed and in my case I want to delete some old printers. So what is the problem: We have a GP to deploy printers, recently we receive a new printers and we use the same policy to deploy them meanwhile we set in the policy for the old Printers "Delete". Unfortunately the old printers remain still in the Device and printers and EventID 4098 was generated with the following error

"Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x8000ffff Catastrophic failure' This error was suppressed."

I've check some articles but all of them a for deploy printers and not to remove them. The only solution which I found is manually to delete the printers from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections and restart Print Spooler service. After this the printer is no longer visible but I can't do it on 200 computers one by one.

Is there any way to solve it? Thanks in advance

Thursday, April 23, 2015 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please try the follow steps and let us know the result?  

To remove a deployed printer, you'll need the Print Management Console (it's installed along with the Print and Document Management role).

Open the Print Management Console, select the "Deployed Printers" node, right click the printer you want to be rid of and select the "Deploy with Group Policy". Click the "Remove All" button on the right, then click ok until all the dialogue boxes close.

The printer should disappear from the Deployed Printers node.

If you want to also delete the GPO it was attached to, you can do that through the Group Policy Management Console, like you would any other.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 24, 2015 9:22 AM
  • Hi Elaine,

thank you for the fast answer. I've just check the console and it appears that there are no Deployed Printers in the console. But when I select Printers I could see all the new printers. I remember that we had the old ones there and we just mark and delete them. I forgot to mention that in the Group Policy we use Item Level Targeting in order to populate the printers only to specific groups.

Friday, April 24, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Hi Kondio,

Thanks for your feedback :) If I follow you correctly that the old deployed printers has been deleted, and the issue been fixed right?

If you have any other issues feel free to post here.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 27, 2015 2:21 AM
  • Hi Elaine,

thank you for your answer but the problem still exist. The printers are still presented on the user computers although they are marked in the GPO with "Delete". And in the same time there aren't any printers (old or new) in the deployed printers in the Print Management Console.

Monday, April 27, 2015 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please check if the group policy got applied this time? Do you still got group policy failed to apply error message and event ID 4098?

If so, I'd recomand you to have a look at the below link explain the event ID 4098 and the top 10 possiable reasons that caused the group policy failed to apply:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2890259?wa=wsignin1.0

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-server-2008/Top-10-Reasons-Why-Group-Policy-Fails-to-Apply-Part1.html

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

• Proposed as answer by Elaine JingModerator Monday, May 11, 2015 6:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kondio Friday, May 15, 2015 6:25 AM
    Monday, May 04, 2015 8:14 AM
  • Hi Elaine,

I've checked the links and I could say that I still have this warning in the Application Log. The full description from the log is:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Group Policy Printers
    Date:          5/11/2015 7:41:53 AM
    Event ID:      4098
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Computer Name
    Description:
    The user 'PrinterName' preference item in the 'Printer Mapping GE {2EDC134B-8BCF-4D64-8995-3CC91E662A7D}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x8000ffff Catastrophic failure' This error was suppressed.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Group Policy Printers" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="34305">4098</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-05-11T05:41:53.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>39326</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>ComputerName</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>user</Data>
        <Data>PrinterName</Data>
        <Data>Printer Mapping GE {2EDC134B-8BCF-4D64-8995-3CC91E662A7D}</Data>
        <Data>0x8000ffff Catastrophic failure</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Monday, May 11, 2015 6:58 AM
  • The problem with the old Printers in the Control Panel - > Devices and Printers still remain. According to the Policy they are with Action - "Delete". And I've made a small test changing the visible items to show also hidden objects. I could see one really old printer there.  
    • Edited by kondio Monday, May 11, 2015 7:12 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 7:04 AM