Windows server 2012 R2 OR Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Can i install the Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 CORE only in production??

Or do i have to install Hyper-v server from windows server 2012 r2 server role.

This is to implement Hyper-V in my production environement.

This server is dedicated to be a Hyper-V primary host there will be no oher roles installed on that server.

I will install the core bcause i will do all my configuration from a console on my other Windows server 2012 R2

Thanks for helping out :)))))

Monday, January 27, 2014 8:54 PM

Answers

• You can do either. They're both fully supported in a production environment.

Windows Server gives you access to built-in deduplication on the local system and allows you to use Automatic Virtual Machine Activation if it's the Datacenter Edition. If you're not going to use either of those two features or any non-Hyper-V related roles, there's not much advantage to using Windows Server over Hyper-V Server. Hyper-V Server lets you skip the annoyance of activation, but that's not really that big of a deal.

Eric Siron Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent blog contributor, not an Altaro employee. I am solely responsible for the content of my posts.
    "Every relationship you have is in worse shape than you think."

• Proposed as answer by BrianEhMVP Monday, January 27, 2014 10:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:47 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:07 PM
  • Well,

if I have a Standard Licence, I prefer Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V over Hyper-V Server.

But as already stated: Both Editions work for you.

Regards,

Benedict

• Marked as answer by MTLBigtoe Monday, January 27, 2014 9:42 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:41 PM

All replies

• You can do either. They're both fully supported in a production environment.

Windows Server gives you access to built-in deduplication on the local system and allows you to use Automatic Virtual Machine Activation if it's the Datacenter Edition. If you're not going to use either of those two features or any non-Hyper-V related roles, there's not much advantage to using Windows Server over Hyper-V Server. Hyper-V Server lets you skip the annoyance of activation, but that's not really that big of a deal.

I am an independent blog contributor, not an Altaro employee. I am solely responsible for the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by BrianEhMVP Monday, January 27, 2014 10:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:47 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:07 PM
  • i will not be using any datacenter edition

and if i install this server it will only have the hyper v role on it.

whats his the deduplication or virtual machine activation???

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:18 PM
  • Hi,

you are fine either way.

please have a look here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/96dc348f-8110-4c95-8742-c3938451ad2c/windows-server-2012-with-hyperv-vs-hyperv3-bare-metal-install?forum=winserverhyperv

and

http://www.veeam.com/blog/hyper-v-server-2012-or-windows-server-2012-with-hyper-v.html

Regards,

Benedict

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

please check here:

Deduplication:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831602.aspx

Automatic virtual machine activation:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303421.aspx

Regards,

Benedict

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Deduplication periodically runs a pass against a local hard drive and removes duplicate data blocks. It can reduce the amount of disk space needed. In a Hyper-V environment, it's really only tuned and recommended for VDI but it's supported and could work for any virtualization load. To use it locally, you must use Windows Server as your management operating system. Of course, if your virtual machines are running on remote storage, they will be covered by whatever deduplication features that storage has (if any).

Automatic Virtual Machine Activation allows Windows Server to automatically activate Windows Server running as virtual machines locally. You must install Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Edition as your management operating system for this to work.

I would counter one position in one of the articles that Benedict linked. There is absolutely zero licensing benefit whether you install Hyper-V Server or Windows Server. There is a common and unfortunate myth being propagated that suggests that you get magical licensing powers just by installing a different management operating system. You must purchase the exact same number of licenses to cover your Windows Server guests regardless of whether you install Windows Server or Hyper-V Server on the hardware (or Xen, or ESX, or any other type 1 hypervisor). Contact Microsoft or an authorized Microsoft licensing vendor if you have questions about guest licensing.

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Eric, 

I agree with you, and the article from the link confirms this either:

"Couldn’t you run Hyper-V Server 2012 and just buy the Windows Server 2012 licenses?” The answer is; Of course you could"

Regards,

Benedict

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:37 PM
  • i'am not looking to save money

i'am looking to have the best more stable host possible

as i can see deduplication will not hapen in my environement

the idea looks good because the core of all server install or all the same buts as i reqaRd the could work i'am not so sure i would do that.

Automatic AVMA needs a datacenter licence that i don't have

I need a stable OS to use as a host only.

after the host is installed i will manage from a console remotely

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:38 PM
  • ... and then it immediately says that you shouldn't, and gives the mythical justification. This is the point where it ceases to make sense. Out of all the reasons to choose between Hyper-V Server and Windows Server, licensing is by far the weakest; with the exception of AVMA where applicable, of course.

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Well,

if I have a Standard Licence, I prefer Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V over Hyper-V Server.

But as already stated: Both Editions work for you.

Regards,

Benedict

• Marked as answer by MTLBigtoe Monday, January 27, 2014 9:42 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:41 PM
  • No criticism will be heard from me :) No need for us to debate when it seems we agree. It's the article I have reservations with.

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:44 PM