none
Local Group Policy - permissions

Question

• Hi, 

Initially I was trying to activate the built in Guest User on windows 10, but seems like its not possible ?

So i created a normal user, changed the group from users to guests.

Then what I was trying to do was to block that user to access the drive(D:).

Created a mmc.exe file with the local group policies specifically for the user I created.

Applied two group policies, one to deny access to the drive and one for not showing the drive on "My PC".

Untill here all seems to work, the only thing what I discovered was, when loged in as the user, if I open the file in the D: drive with the path in the explorer(ex: D:\Directory\Directory\file.txt) it still opens that file, but if I try opening the Directory (ex: D:\Directory\Directory) it says denied because admin something.. Don't really remember.

What I really wan't is to block/not have access to the whole drive for that user even if they try using a path on explorer.

Not sure if this is important but all of this is Local, on the say computer.

Ty.

Monday, June 04, 2018 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

> What I really wan't is to block/not have access to the whole drive for that user even if they try using a path on explorer.

According to my understanding and research, we can set deny permissions for the users to block access.

Please refer to the following steps.

Changing the user’s permissions

1. Right-click the D drive, then click properties.
    2. Select Security, then click Advanced.
    3. Click Change permissions under Permissions.
    4. Click Add under Permissions.
    5. Click Select a principal. Please pay attention, if it is a domain joined computer, we should select local user under “from this location” instead of domain user. Then select the user we want to change its permissions.
    6. In the top of the window we can see type, and select deny.
    7. Then select Full control. Close all settings window.

So that we can see that the user cannot access files on the D drive.

Hope above information can help you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Kallen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Kallen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 08, 2018 1:47 AM
  • Hello,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Kallen Wang

Thursday, June 14, 2018 9:20 AM