none
COM Surrogate RRS feed

• Question

• There have been times I get a pop up box asking for my password, it is from com surrogate. I have been closing it out. Is it a threat or safe to enter PW and open? I don't trust things that I don't know about, and understand?? If it's a threat how to rid of it??

Thank You

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

The dllhost.exe process goes by the name COM Surrogate and the term itself is pretty generic.

1. Scan your PC with your antivirus software.

2. Are you using any 3rd-party security software? If so, disable it and see if that helps.

3. Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM

4. Test this issue in Clean boot mode, and see if we can find which certain startup option or 3rd part service cause this issue. If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half service

Meanwhile, please refer to the following link which may help you:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f6630b7b-4692-46df-91bc-db10da2d1346/com-surrogate

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by hurry yang Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:30 PM
  • Hello,

COM Surrogate is sacrificial system process which usually saves File Explorer from crashing. Can you please share us the screenshot of pop up box you're getting.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:38 PM
  • Hi,
    How things are going there on this issue?
    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 14, 2018 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

Sunday, December 16, 2018 1:26 PM