Office 2007 & Terminal Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a sequenced version of Office 2007 for my XP desktop builds and it works fine, but I recently put this package via App-V on one of out Citrix servers, again everything seemed to work correctly but .doc and .xls files caused word and excel to crash whenever these file types are opened.

Does anyone know what the issue may be? Additionally I have tried to sequence Office 2007 on the Terminal Server but am having no luck as it constantly tries to repair itself when I run the apps before stopping the monitoring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Having done some more investigation into the .doc/.xls issue it appears that there are some VBA macros running at startup, once I had disabled macros from the options the documents opened.

So I am assuming that something is missing from the base installation of TS 2003 server that is present on my XP desktop. I'll do a bit more investigation and post my fix, if I find an acceptable one.

Thanks again Tim,

Andy
    • Marked as answer by Virtual Andy Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:35 AM

All replies

• Self-repair sounds like the issue covered in the KB article about sequencing Office 2007. 

doc and xls shortcuts should work under Citrix.  You will need to diagnose that problem closer.  I assume user is getting published apps and not published desktop, therefore shortcut is at the client device.  Is word/excel attempted to be launched on the server?  Is it the virtual version?  When does it die?
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:32 AM
  • Tim Mangan said:

Self-repair sounds like the issue covered in the KB article about sequencing Office 2007. 

doc and xls shortcuts should work under Citrix.  You will need to diagnose that problem closer.  I assume user is getting published apps and not published desktop, therefore shortcut is at the client device.  Is word/excel attempted to be launched on the server?  Is it the virtual version?  When does it die?

Thanks for repsponding Tim, the users are using published apps, but as I said it only happens when opening .doc, .xls files, .docx, .xlsx files are fine. Word/Excel start opening the file/document and then office reports a crash. So the applications are opeing fine.

I have run process monitor to capture the error, but all I see is that it is looking for various typelib and interface registry entries in HKCU but does not find them even though they exist in HKCR. The client version is 4.5 RTM for Terminal Servers.

It's all a bit stange, hope this extra detail helps.

Thanks,

Andy
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Having done some more investigation into the .doc/.xls issue it appears that there are some VBA macros running at startup, once I had disabled macros from the options the documents opened.

So I am assuming that something is missing from the base installation of TS 2003 server that is present on my XP desktop. I'll do a bit more investigation and post my fix, if I find an acceptable one.

Thanks again Tim,

Andy
    • Marked as answer by Virtual Andy Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:35 AM