My laptop's hard drive seems to freeze occasionally RRS feed

• General discussion

• I JUST CALLED MICROSOFT TECH SUPPORT  AND THEY  SAID ;

MICROSOFT  TELLS ME IT IS NOT THEIR PROBLEM  !!  THAT I NEED TO CALL THE COMPANY WHO BUILT MY LAPTOP PC AND TALK TO WHO EVER INSTALLED MY  WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM ,,   BECAUSE  WHEN YOUR HARD DRIVE WILL    " FREEZE "    IT IS NOT  THE FAULT OF WINDOWS 7  SOFTWARE ..

THEY ARE LIARS !!

Old guy new to XP PRO
    • Changed type Niki Han Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:10 AM
    • Edited by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:23 AM Clarify the issue
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:24 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hello ;   when i did a search for ,, " hard drive freeze "  and  it said 35,000+ people are having this problem  which makes me think there is a problem with  Windows 7 Home Premium or most Win 7 systems  installed on Laptop PCs .

Maybe  the News Media  might heard about this problem already ??

Does ANYONE ! know about this problem and maybe how to Fix it ?????????

Old guy new to XP PRO
    • Merged by Niki Han Friday, August 5, 2011 9:44 AM dup
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

it is an actual fact that faulting harddrives can make windows freeze. You should check your harddrive using a third party tool before blaming Windows (or Microsoft) . Usually such tool can be provided by the hardware manufacturer. The manufacturer can also help resolve such an issue. So i guess the advice support gave you as not that bad after all.

Another thing is that for OEM software (delivered with a new computer) you are not eligable for support from Microsoft: you should turn to your OEM manufacturer instead.

If you don't like turning to your hardware manufacturer; you could try to diagnose this yourself. Find out the brand of your hadrdrive and check the brand's website for dagnostic tools!

for example:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en

for your information: writing all in capitals is considered shouting on the internet. It is rude and should be avoided if you try to find help.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Edited by SenneVL Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:43 PM typos
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:38 PM
  • hi,

yes I agree with SenneVL,  and dear countryboy60, I have seen and another post from you in this forum regarding the same problem.its not good that you have point your finger to microsoft  and blame them regarding the problem.

you better check your hard drive first.

have a nice day

thank you

U.L Ranmal
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Hi,

The hard drive freezing issue can be caused by different reasons. I would like to know the information about your computer. Is it compatible with Windows 7? How many programs did you install? When did the issue occur?

At this time, I suggest performing the following methods to narrow down the root cause.

1. Disk check

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

2. Scan viruses and check the issue in Safe Mode

3. If the issue only occurs when running one program, try to disable or uninstall the program temporarily for testing.

4. If the issue doesn't occur in Safe Mode, try the Clean Boot.

In addition, go to Task Manager to monitor the CPU usage and Physical Memory when the issue occurs.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 9:48 AM
  • OK, not pointing my finger at Microsoft, but.... explaing this: 100 people company, mixed environment, dell PCs, toshiba laptops, hp pc.... about 30 people in the company have been complaining about the same freezing issue which started 2 weeks ago.... You think that many harddrives suddenly failed? Mass harddrive failure..... or, do you think maybe, just maybe there has been a "bad" update from Microsoft....since this is not the first time they have done something like this....
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Jack:

To put everything in context, Microsoft has sold 400 million Windows 7 licenses as of about June or July.  Using your approximate figure of 30%, this would mean something on the order of 120,000,000 machines experiencing this "freezing".   That's certainly not the case.

In my "forest" there are on the order of 44,000 Windows 7 machines running, and only about 20,000 Win XP left.  We are experiencing zero, as in 0 "freezing" issues on those 44,000 machines.

That's not to say you aren't having an issue, all it indicates is there should be some sort of common thread to have such a huge number of issues within a given corporate environment.  You say it is a mix of mfgrs/models, was that a blanket statement for the corporate environment, or a definitive statement that his issue is affecting all of these models and manufacturers in a relatively consistant manner?

I'd love to help you get it figured out, so the more detail you can provide the better.  Things you've tried, proposed solutions other have implemented that don't apply to your environment, (and perhaps why they don't apply), and so on.

DAS

Friday, August 5, 2011 6:59 PM
  • I finally  FIXED !  the  problem.

I had to FORMAT  the Frozen  Hard Drive

Then I used aHard Drive Recovery Software  to  Find and Save as many files as I could .

Then I formatted that Hard Drive again  and Now I can use that Hard Drive  because now it is  NOT !  FROZEN  anymore ..

I  tried all suggestions  that  people made on the Forum  and nothing worked ,,  so  Formatting  was  the onlu thing that could be done .

Old guy new to XP PRO
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Sounds like it was a hardware problem, not a Microsoft problem after all.  We accept your apology.

Jerry

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:12 PM
  • You should look into buying better quality hard drives.

Look into the Enterprise Class drives that the big name makers have...  For example, Western Digital RE4.

-Noel

Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:44 AM
  • You absolutely cannot recover files after a format.

Renee

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:03 PM