none
UEFI PXE BOOT ERROR

Question

• Hi,

I've a problem with the UEFI PXE in SCCM 2012R2.

My DHCP configuration:

Option 66 : myserveripaddress
    Option 67 : SMSBoot\x64\wdsmgfw.efi
    Option 60 : support

When I try to boot the machine (Hp Pro x2 612) the PXE starts but I receive the error:

Windows Deployment Services encountered an error:
    Error Code: 0x102

Any Help is appreciated :)

Friday, November 14, 2014 3:06 PM

All replies

• Try to get rid of DHCP options and use IPhelpers instead. Also make sure that you are using a boot images that matches the architecture of the OS to be deployed.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by grundlichkeit Friday, November 21, 2014 10:14 AM
    Friday, November 14, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

I don't want to get rid of DHCP options.

I've found something strange in the PXE Logs:

14:58:D0:BA:0E:A9, 81403D7F-5654-11E4-B1F5-0A91BF0CF0FF: no advertisements found

But on the SCCM if i look on the advertisement for my machine the Advertisement is here.

Friday, November 14, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Change this to x86 for 2012 R2 

SMSBoot\x86\wdsmgfw.efi

If you check on the WDS server remote install folder I don't think youll find the efi file under the 64 bit folder.

Friday, November 14, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Hi have checked and the in the x64 folder there is a WDSMGFW.efi

Specifically, I've read that you NEED the x64 .efi for x64 based os.
    I've triyed what you suggested, but with this setting, the PXE fail directly with:

"An error occured with the boot selection verifiy media is present and retry".

Friday, November 14, 2014 3:53 PM
  • I don't want to get rid of DHCP options.

Why? They are officially not supported and you won't be able to deploy x86 and x64 UEFI OSes at the same time then.

Friday, November 14, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Try removing all three dhcp options
    Friday, November 14, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

I have only x64 systems, and I can't modify SWITCH OPTION (IPhelpers are on switch if I'm not wrong) in my company.

Friday, November 14, 2014 4:07 PM
  • So, instead of going and talking to the networking guys so that you can follow the supported and recommended path, you would rather fight to try to use an unsupported method with known shortcomings?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, November 14, 2014 7:38 PM
  • It's from 2007 that I use DHCP options with no problem. And I can't wait every time 1week for things to be done. So yes, I prefer to have something I can administer instead of waiting forever. And as I said, from 2007 I have used DHCP option without a problem. I don't think the problem is in the dhcp, maybe I'm wrong but without the Efi task I have 0 problem, so I don't know of the problem is there.
    Friday, November 14, 2014 9:03 PM
  • And, as Torsten eluded to, UEFI is a new beast that has issues with DHCP scope options.

UEFI is *very* different than traditional BIOS.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, November 14, 2014 9:17 PM
  • Yes, and if you read a lot of the troubleshooting posts on this issue the solution for most has been to not use dhcp options.
    Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

Since DHCP option 60 is enable, that means the DHCP server is a DP which has PXE enabled.

To narrow down the issue, you can run netmon on DHCP server to capture package, the package should be like:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dominikheinz/archive/2011/03/18/dhcp-amp-pxe-basics.aspx

Try to disable secure boot in UEFI settings.

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:43 AM
  • I can try with your solution to use IpHelpers.

But since I cannot make this modify by myself, can you please provide me a quick-guide on how-to-do-it ?
    So that I can give it to the networking guys?
    Would be very apprecciated.

Cheers

Monday, November 17, 2014 6:54 AM
  • It depends on what devices you are configuring. See here for configuring IP Helper on Cisco IOS

http://www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie/2013/02/sccm-2012-sp1-step-by-step-guide-part_9487.html

Here is an example from a Cisco switch:

interface Vlan10 

ip address 172.16.112.254 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 172.16.1.1

End

This allows clients booting in 172.16.112.0/24 subnet to find the ConfigMgr or MDT server (172.16.1.1).

It's very straightforward. Your networking chaps will have no issue.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:16 AM
  • But then you will not have to configure dhcp options (67 and 66) ?
    And how will the client know which PXE Image it will  need?
    Also, can I then have a mixed environment? (UEFI & BIOS) ?

Thanks for answering.

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:43 AM
  • 1. If you use IP Helper you do not need DHCP Options

2. WDS takes care of that

3. Yes

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Monday, November 17, 2014 8:05 AM
  • Thanks for the answer.

Today I will speak with the guy from Networking to see if he can set this options.
    I let you know if it works :)
    Thanks

And another question:
    You said that WDS will take care of it, but If i open my WDS it's empty, because is SCCM 2012R2 that take care of wds.

Will I have to configure WDS manually with the WPE images?

If I open the WDS on one of my distribution Point is so:

And of course I have the RemoteInstall folder wich contains the boot images (that are inside the TS)

When IPHelpers are configured, should I manually configure the WDS and point it to the correct (x64 UEFI and BIOS) images?

Because you said that you have to configure in IP Helpers the ip address of the MANAGEMENT point? Or the ip address of the Distribution Point?
    And with IP Helper (if I understood well) you direct the client to the SCCM Management Point, and he then redirect to the correct Distribution Point , I'm I right?

If so, I will have to configure the WDS with the images on the Distribution Points?

• Edited by TDA90 Monday, November 17, 2014 9:32 AM Modify Question
    Monday, November 17, 2014 8:07 AM
  • 1. You don't have to touch WDS. ConfigMgr will do everything for you. As a matter of fact you will break the solution if you manually configure WDS. Don't touch it.

2. You need the IP address if a PXE-enabled DP. This could be different depending on your location.

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:39 PM
  • And with IP Helper (if I understood well) you direct the client to the SCCM Management Point, and he then redirect to the correct Distribution Point , I'm I right?

No. The IPhelper should point to the PXE-enabled DP.

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Hi

I concur with the others - use IPHelpers instead. With that being said I have seen the same issue that you are describing at a customer site and I solved it by adding Option 060 to the Scope Option on the dhcp Server. The Customer was using a VLAN to deploy OS to tablet machines.

Have a look at this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/346a40db-764a-46c2-829b-678a31b608d4/pxe-boot-with-uefi-wds-not-sending-winpe-wim?forum=configmanagerosd

You will find a rundown of what works/doesn´t Work when using DHCP options.

Monday, November 17, 2014 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

I've tryied to enable Option 60: Support and another time I've set it to --> Option 60: PXEClient
    But not working :(

• Edited by TDA90 Monday, November 17, 2014 2:44 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Hello,

Did you resolved the issue?

In order to narrow down the issue, we can try legacy mode, I mean BIOS mode. This will test network connection.

In addition, update firmware is also worth a try.

Friday, November 21, 2014 5:48 AM