WSUS replica synchronization faild after clean up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi for all.

I had a probem with the WSUS replica server after I was clean up WSUS master server for many times periodically. WSUS master server work ok but on some replica servers I could not do clean up server or synchronization is faild. The problem was probably due to the missing updates. Because of that I am delete all the content from WsusContent folder(because I am change some download options for updates) on my master WSUS server and after that initiated command "Wsusutill.exe reset. After a few days the entire content of the WsusContent folder is downloaded again. After this procedure with master server the clean up can be done on all replica servers without problems and synchronisations are posible.

I am satisfied at this moment with the configuration of the master WSUS server.

I did not run command wsusutil reset to replica servers??
    Which are the steps or order on replica servers in terms of clean up, wsusutil reset command, synchronizations...? What can I do on replica servers to have all the updates and cleaned up servers? What neads to be start first wsusutil.exe restart or clean up on all replica servers then wsusutil reset...? if someone has experience for best WSUS health :)
    Sorry about my english.

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:00 AM

Answers

• Hi amko77,

1. When updates needed to be synced and downloaded into downstream WSUS server, while the upstream WSUS server do not synced or downloaded, then the upstream WSUS server will sync and download from Microsoft Update first, then, downstream WSUS server sync and download from the upstream WSUS server. So, some updates do not needed by upstream WSUS server while they will also be synced and downloaded due to downstream WSUS server's requirement.

2. It's recommended to do Server Cleanup Wizard on the downstream WSUS first, then do Server Cleanup Wizard on the upstream WSUS server; Server Cleanup Wizard will help remove declined updates binary files in Content folder.

3. "Wsusutil reset" will help re-download update binary files in the Content folder, if you want to do "wsusutil reset", it's recommended to do it on upstream WSUS server first, then do it on downstream WSUS server.

4. Generally, Server Cleanup Wizard will help cleanup WSUS server's Content folder, if it still not enough, then do wsusutil reset.

5. As for the sync, I prefer to do it on upstream WSUS server first, then on the downstream WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 1, 2017 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi amko77,

1. When updates needed to be synced and downloaded into downstream WSUS server, while the upstream WSUS server do not synced or downloaded, then the upstream WSUS server will sync and download from Microsoft Update first, then, downstream WSUS server sync and download from the upstream WSUS server. So, some updates do not needed by upstream WSUS server while they will also be synced and downloaded due to downstream WSUS server's requirement.

2. It's recommended to do Server Cleanup Wizard on the downstream WSUS first, then do Server Cleanup Wizard on the upstream WSUS server; Server Cleanup Wizard will help remove declined updates binary files in Content folder.

3. "Wsusutil reset" will help re-download update binary files in the Content folder, if you want to do "wsusutil reset", it's recommended to do it on upstream WSUS server first, then do it on downstream WSUS server.

4. Generally, Server Cleanup Wizard will help cleanup WSUS server's Content folder, if it still not enough, then do wsusutil reset.

5. As for the sync, I prefer to do it on upstream WSUS server first, then on the downstream WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 1, 2017 5:50 AM
  • Hi amko77,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 3:00 AM
  • Thank you for your helpful answer.

Best regards,

Amir

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:25 AM