Updating IE 9 RRS feed

• Question

• I am still using IE 9 (32 bit and 64 bit) on my Win 7 (64 bit). I have been told to update to IE 11, but I wonder if that is possible, or if it has been too long a time passed?

Can I still update to IE 11? Or do I have to update to IE 10 first (and then get all of it's security updates - which might be a lot) before I update to IE 11?

I see the IE 10 update and the IE 11 update in the Restore Hidden Folder in the Windows Updates Critical Update page? But don't know if I should use them because they might be quite old and don't have all the security updates.

Or should I download IE 11 from the following and that would update my IE 9 to IE 11 and include all the IE 10 security updates?

Maybe download IE 11 ( from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...wide-languages ) Online or Offline?

Or here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...er/download-ie

OR    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/download-ie

Can someone help me?

Thank you.

(I just don't know and I am completely lost at this time. As an Octogenarian I am not at all familiar with all of this.)

• Edited by AliceZ Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:17 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Alice,

Please uninstall IE9 before installing IE11.

The steps you mentioned it's ok to uninstall IE 9. And please know that we can directly update to IE 11 from IE8 which is integrated in Windows 7.

You can directly download the IE 11 installer from this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/internet-explorer/ie-11-worldwide-languages

And then install it directly.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, November 10, 2014 3:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

In Internet Explorer 11, the browser frame process is always 64-bit and but the tab processes are 32-bit by default. Regardless of whether you open IE from Program Files or Program Files (x86), this is the case.

IE11 introduced a new feature called Enhanced Protected Mode. If Enhanced Protected Mode is enabled, then IE enables 64-bit tab processes. Conversely, to enable 64-bit IE, you must go to Internet Options -> Advanced tab and check the option "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" under the Security section. Thereafter, you must close all IE processes and restart the browser to make all processes 64-bit.

Kate Li

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:05 AM
  • Many add-ons and extensions and things do not work in 64 bit mode which is why it's not the default.  Unless you have some requirement for it, leave the default settings in IE 11 alone.  For a home user that is a casual user the best policy is to go with the MS defaults on things.  In corporations where they have to access custom websites then they often have to fiddle with the defaults.
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:56 AM

All replies

• From memory I believe you should be able to simply install IE11 direct from Windows Update without first installing IE10, however you do need to have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 installed first.

If you have SP1 installed already then it should appear in your list of available updates unless it has been hidden previously for some reason. The easiest option may be to download it from Microsoft as you suggest. Unfortunately I can't view any of those three link pages properly as it detects that I already have IE11 installed so won't show the download options.

I should also clarify, if you're not sure if you have SP1 installed, find and right click on the My Computer icon and select Properties. In the window that appears it will tell you the version of Windows you're running, and whether there's a service pack installed.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:17 AM
  • It says:

Windows 7 Home Premium----

Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corp All rights reserved

Service Pack 1

If I did download from

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/download-ie

#1 - Would that Win 11 over-write my IE9 and include all the security updates and patches for IE 10?

And #2: Would it also install BOTH 32 bit IE 11 and 64 bit IE 11? Or would I have to do two downloads (one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit)?>

#3- If it would be okay to download from the above site  should I use the Install Online or Save to download folder (and install it offline)?

• Edited by AliceZ Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:03 PM
  • You will still have IE 9 installed. Installing IE 9 will not overwrite the previous version. I suggest uninstalling IE 9 and then installing IE 11, It will not include the patches from IE 10. However, IE 11 integrates the patches from previous version, hence the newer version.

It will install the version most appropriate to your operating system.

I always prefer to save the executable and install offline. 

Don't forget to mark the post that solved your issue as "Answered." By marking the Answer you are enabling users with similar issues to find what helped you. Lewis Renwick - IT Professional

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:18 PM
  • You will still have IE 9 installed. Installing IE 9 will not overwrite the previous version. I suggest uninstalling IE 9 and then installing IE 11, It will not include the patches from IE 10. However, IE 11 integrates the patches from previous version, hence the newer version.

It will install the version most appropriate to your operating system.

I always prefer to save the executable and install offline. 

Don't forget to mark the post that solved your issue as "Answered." By marking the Answer you are enabling users with similar issues to find what helped you. Lewis Renwick - IT Professional

#1- How do I uninstall IE 9 and install IE 11? Where would I get IE 11?

#2-If I uninstall IE 9, how would I be able to install IE 11 if I did not have IE 9 any longer?

#3- Or would I download (offline) IE 11 and then uninstall IE 9 and when IE 9 is uninstalled I would run IE 11?

#4- If I did the IE 9 unnstall wouldn't I lose all my Favorites, etc.?

#5- Did you mean to say "Installing IE 11 (instead of IE 9) will not overwrite the previous version."

Confusing for me.

How to uninstall ????  ===

To uninstall Internet Explorer

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
    2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

• Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

• Restart later

• Edited by AliceZ Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:14 PM
  • Hi Alice,

Please uninstall IE9 before installing IE11.

The steps you mentioned it's ok to uninstall IE 9. And please know that we can directly update to IE 11 from IE8 which is integrated in Windows 7.

You can directly download the IE 11 installer from this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/internet-explorer/ie-11-worldwide-languages

And then install it directly.

Kate Li

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:54 AM
  • As I mentioned in my previous post, I had the "IE11-Windows6.1.exe" in my download folder. I just clicked on that and a box opened saying it was installing IE 11 and after about 20 minutes it restarted the computer. (I did not uninstall IE 9 as I did not receive your reply prior to uninstalling.)

Now when I click on the IE icon on my desktop the IE opens and when I click on the About it shows the following; so hopefully the IE 11 was installed. And it looks like the 32 bit version is running (which is what I had with IE 9).

But I don't see IE 11 64 bit version in the All Programs, Control Panel, etc. Is the 64 bit version of IE 11 also installed on this Win 7 now? I do see (in below image) that it is unchecked next to "Enable 64 bit....etc." Does that mean I DO have the 64 bit IE also on this Win7?

[IMG]http://www.imagesup.net/?di=7141461838513[/IMG]

Do I have the right IE 11 on my computer now? Both 32 bit and 64 bit?

ADD-ON to above:

In the image above it shows "enabe 64 bit..."

But when I look there again, I see:

[IMG]http://www.imagesup.net/?di=4141462267015[/IMG]'

I don't see that "Enable 64 bit...etc.
    And that is why I wonder if I have IE 11 32 bit and 64 bit?

• Edited by AliceZ Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Hi,

In Internet Explorer 11, the browser frame process is always 64-bit and but the tab processes are 32-bit by default. Regardless of whether you open IE from Program Files or Program Files (x86), this is the case.

IE11 introduced a new feature called Enhanced Protected Mode. If Enhanced Protected Mode is enabled, then IE enables 64-bit tab processes. Conversely, to enable 64-bit IE, you must go to Internet Options -> Advanced tab and check the option "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" under the Security section. Thereafter, you must close all IE processes and restart the browser to make all processes 64-bit.

Kate Li

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:05 AM
  • Many add-ons and extensions and things do not work in 64 bit mode which is why it's not the default.  Unless you have some requirement for it, leave the default settings in IE 11 alone.  For a home user that is a casual user the best policy is to go with the MS defaults on things.  In corporations where they have to access custom websites then they often have to fiddle with the defaults.
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:56 AM