none
Cannot restore Windows from a backup on an external drive. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to reinstall Windows Vista Home Premium on my PC. Before I did that, I made a backup from the Backup and Restore Center onto my WD My Book Essential qith half a terabyte of memory. The device had and has some files of its own on it -- it was a couple of programs that I don't see any reason to use, thoug hI didn't see any harm in leaving them there. The backup is labeled HOUSE-PC, the name of the user account I backed it up from, though as far as I am aware it backed up all the files across all of the user accounts on my PC.

I've reinstalled Windows and am now trying to retrieve the data from my backup, again using the Backup and Restore Center, but the Center won't recognize the backup on my external drive. I've tried using the Advanced Restore function and choosing the option Files from a Backup Made on a Different Computer, but I still have no results. Have I done something wrong, or is there something wrong with my backup?

Additional info: The backup's file path and organization is as follows: On the root folder, there is a folder labeled HOUSE-PC, where my backup is located, as well as a few other folders and files that came with the drive. In HOUSE-PC, there is a folder labeled, "Backup Set 2011-02-28 165830," inside of which there are two folders: one by the same name, and one labeled Catalogs. The Catalogs folder is protected and only contains the BackupCatalog (not to imply I know what that means); in the other folder is a large group of numbered ZIP archives, each with a folder labeled C in it (some also have a folder labeled D) with various files and folders from my old install. As far as I can tell, none of the files are damaged or corrupted; the data is all still there.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You should be able to use Windows Recovery environment (installation media) to recover the image.

Please share the output of the following command after booting into recovery environment and opening a command prompt.
    1. WBADMIN GET VERSIONS -backupTarget:F: -machine:David-PC
    Note: Assuming your backups are stored in F:.

If you are able to see the version you can use following command for complete PC recovery.
    WBADMIN START SYSRECOVERY -version:<Version> -backupTarget:F: -machine:David-PC

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You should be able to use Windows Recovery environment (installation media) to recover the image.

Please share the output of the following command after booting into recovery environment and opening a command prompt.
    1. WBADMIN GET VERSIONS -backupTarget:F: -machine:David-PC
    Note: Assuming your backups are stored in F:.

If you are able to see the version you can use following command for complete PC recovery.
    WBADMIN START SYSRECOVERY -version:<Version> -backupTarget:F: -machine:David-PC

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

I had about the same problem. After numerous tries to get my backup restored, but never seen. It kept saying there are no Images on this disk.

I tried a couple of things:

1st: Make sure your System Reserved does not have a Drive letter (example F:)

2nd. Make sure your C: drive ( or what ever drive letter your windows OS is on ) is Active.

This helped me....

ComputerComrade

• Proposed as answer by CompuerComrade Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:11 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:09 PM