none
The backup failed. The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)

Question

• After the Windows 10 version 1803 upgrade on April 30, 2018, my System Image Backup keeps failing withe two messages. "The backup failed" "The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)".

Note that the System Image Backup worked before the upgrade. The upgrade completed OK and I have not found any other issues.

I checked that =1= The RPC (Remote Procedure Call) service in Services is active and running and =2= the DCOM (Distributed COM) is enabled. There used to be a SYSTEM disk when I did the defrag, the defrag does not show the SYSTEM disk in version 1803.

Is it a bug, or is there a fix or should I try the Image Recovery (that might fail as well).

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi jjfull,

Based on my knowledge, the error code 0x800706BA sometimes occurs when the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) server is unavailable.

Firstly, we need to make Sure that the RPC Services are Properly Functioning
    You could check if Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service is set to automatically.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a46a3d2e-6be4-4d63-b090-fb627340a520/win-10-pro-64-win-backuprestore-win-not-complete-backup?forum=win10itprogeneral

In some cases, the Firewall may be blocking the traffic requested by RPC, hence resulting to the error. Please also  temporarily disable Firewall to do a check.

You could also be seeing the RPC server error because of a network connection interruption. As such, you have to check if all your devices are correctly connected to the network you’re using.

And please also test to create another user account with exactly the same privileges > logon to it > see if it will do the backup. If it works, then it is likely your original account is corrupted.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:57 AM
  •  I have the same problem with my Nextbook (Win 10 Home edition). I created a system image as usual with no problem. Immediately thereafter, I downloaded the April update version 1803. The update appeared to install with no problems, so the first thing I did was to create a restore point. again no problem. Then I attempted to create a system image to the same ext harddrive I always use The system image failed. "The RPC Server is unavailable. Error code0x800706BA. I tried again and I get the same failure every time.
       I reverted back to the previous version of windows 10, and then I was able to successfully create a system image.  I, again,  installed version 1803, and the problem returned. Again I can't create a system image.

• Edited by fuddd Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:51 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Mary's  answer in no way addresses the fact that there was no problem with the previous version, prior to version 1803.

• Edited by fuddd Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:59 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:51 PM
  • Thanks Mary. I have Windows 10Pro client, 32 bit software. I did check the RPC is Automatic and active. I run the dskchk C: /f /r /x (note that there were few fixes done by the dskchk) and tried to create a system image again it failed with the same error. Then I tried the restore from a previous system image, it failed with the same error. Then I stopped the firewall and tried to create a system image. It failed with the same error, just run a bit longer. I do not have other issues, but I cannot do the system image backup or to restore from the previous system image.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:31 PM
  • Some more follow ups with the same Fail messages:

1. I did not have the Volume Shadow Copy service running. It was set to Automatic and started

2. As I mentioned, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service was automatic and started

I got a new message:

The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation (0x8078004F)

3. Then I stopped the Symantec Security firewall

I got some more new messages

The Interface is unknown (0x800706B5)

There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set. (0x807800C5)

But they changed back to (the old RPC message) after another retry

4. Then I did the clean reboot with all the above and got the same message

Mary, Do you have another idea I can try?

jjfull

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 7:57 PM
  • Hi Mary: I completed the last test, a new admin account was created with standard unmodified defaults

But the system image backup message is the same: The backup failed. The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)

jjfull

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

The problem only happens to windows 10 1803 version? Other version haven't such problem right?

Since this is windows server backup forum,  maybe also consult in windows 10 forum for client windows 10

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:28 AM
  • Yup. Its a bug. The image backup is broken in 1803 on the 32 bit version only. If you try to perform an image backup to a network location it gives the RPC statement above. If you attached a local USB or SD drive, it fails also with the same message. Is there a simple 32 bit DLL that we can drop in to fix this?
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:07 PM
  • KenTopDogAce,  Thanks for taking a serious look at this. Your analysis describes my problem exactly.
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:47 PM
  • KenTopDogAce,  Thanks for taking a serious look at this. Your analysis describes my problem exactly.

I have the same Problem with Version 1803, when i do a backup it becomes the Error: 0x800706BA
    Friday, May 4, 2018 7:27 AM
  • Thanks for the confirmation. I use an external USB drive for the target image copy backup. I have gone through the event log and noticed some errors regarding some problems to access the USB drive:

1.The volume is recognized by NTFS but it is corrupted that NTFS could not mount it. Run CHKDSK /F to fix any errors on this volume, and then try accessing it.

2.The backup operation that started at '‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎02T17:49:08.717202700Z' has failed with following error code '0x807800C5' (There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.).

3. The disk cannot be written to because it is write protected. Please remove the write protection from the volume %hs in drive %hs.

But after every failed Image backup a new corrupted backup file was created on the USB external drive that I deleted after each failure.

After that I run chkdsk C: /F on my system drive,  chkdsk D: /F on my second partition and chkdsk F: /F on my USB external drive. All completed clean. Then I checked the services and run the Image backup to the USB external drive one more time. The system Image Copy backup failed again with the same error: The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA). I never had a problem with my Image backups on windows 7 or Windows 10 until the upgrade to version 1803, so it does look like a BUG.

Friday, May 4, 2018 2:55 PM
  • We see the same issue...  image backup is broken in 1803 on the 32 bit version only!

Sierra

Friday, May 4, 2018 4:00 PM
  • Same problem with my 32 bit laptop. If you remember 64 bit build 16251 rd 3 Back up and restore had an issue with system image.

Robert Denis

Sunday, May 6, 2018 12:28 AM
  • Has Microsoft acknowledged the existence of this error and given an estimate of when they'll fix it?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:13 PM
  • The above W10 1803 Image copy potential bug was posted to the Microsoft Feedback Hub, with supporting screen shots. It was acknowledged by Microsoft, but no response provided yet.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:31 PM
  • The issue you submitted though the feedback hub has been received.  Would it be possible for you to attach the System and Application event log data to your issue in the feedback hub, as well?  You could just reproduce the error and then export the last 30 minutes, or so, worth of events in .csv format from each log.  This would be helpful in determining the root case of this issue.

Thanks,

Wes

Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:02 PM
  • Hi Wes: The System and Applications event logs from two failed Image backups from today were attached with comments in the Feedback Hub.

Jerry

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:47 PM
  • I talked to tech support (Ticket #1424749859) about this for over 3 hours while watching a tech on my laptop remotely, until he finally admitted defeat. ("Wait for an update that fixes the problem.")

After all was said and done, i replaced the x86 1803 version of wbengine.exe with the 1709 version through the recovery command prompt.

After that the image backup worked and a recovery disc PRIOR to 1803 successfully restored it.

While I wouldn't propose this as a solution, it certainly defines the problem.

wbengine.exe (x86) is the problem. RPC is merely a symptom.

The x64 version of wbengine.exe in 1803 is not a problem.

I reported this back to tech support under the same ticket number. Apparently you have to tell them from 4 different directions before someone notices.

Friday, May 18, 2018 9:25 PM
  • I had Norton running. Had same problem and after disabling auto-protect until system reboot (in Norton) the "create system image" worked. Well fingers crossed anyway as it is running now (but previously failed almost straight away!)
    Friday, May 18, 2018 9:58 PM
  • Good god. Thanks to jjfull for asking, KenTopDogAce for sniffing this thing out, and to Wes Keetch for stepping up from Microsoft.

I've spent (read: wasted) way too many hours of my life trying to figure this out. Lost a lot of sleep. Time is like miles run off a tire -- you can't put the rubber back on; it is gone forever. Our most precious non-renewable resource consumed, again, by technology run amuck.

Sorry. Got on a roll. I understand that not every situation can be foreseen; however, this affects the backup functionality, something I presume a lot of users take advantage of. I do wish Microsoft would advise everyone who gets upgrades about bugs when they find them rather than just letting its loyal users flounder and struggle trying to figure out how to fix the unfixable.

So now I can get back to my life whilst waiting for a fix.

My sincere gratitude to you folks.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 4:07 PM
  • It is still not solved as of May 25. The frustration is that you have to wait upto 60% then it says RPC is unavailable. Why Microsoft is rolling new upgrade while it is not solving the problems with previous upgrade.
    Friday, May 25, 2018 5:20 PM
  • I need to follow this, same issue 32bits w10, since the last April update the issues exact same error as mentioned on external hard drive and network
    Saturday, May 26, 2018 7:36 PM
  • If Microsoft produce a bug free version of wbengine.exe it is trivial to replace the copy in System32 which I assume is used to create an image. How will they do this (without a major repair operation) for the recovery partition copy which I assume is used to restore the image from the recovery environment?

Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:23 PM
  • Should you sue Microsoft for the unnoticed interruption of data backup function?
    Monday, May 28, 2018 2:21 PM
  • Yup. Its a bug. The image backup is broken in 1803 on the 32 bit version only. If you try to perform an image backup to a network location it gives the RPC statement above. If you attached a local USB or SD drive, it fails also with the same message. Is there a simple 32 bit DLL that we can drop in to fix this?

I'm also having this issue with a clients machine. Very frustrating. Getting the error whilst backing up to a local external backup. Version 1803 and 32 Bit windows, though its a 64 Bit CPU -,- Installing 2018-05 Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x86-based Systems to see if that resolves it. 

Very annoying considering their upgrading the machine to Windows Server shortly and need good backups. 

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:07 PM
  • Got backup to run by using wbengine.exe from the 1709 windows.old folder, left there after the update to 1803. To replace the new version in the system32 folder you have to take ownership first, then copy the old version to replace the broken one.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:51 PM
  • I'm seeing the same problem but with Windows 10 build 1709. If I roll back to W10 1703 wbadmin.exe works again.

Wbadmin.exe backup error:
    This will back up Local Disk(C:) to \\server\backup
    Do you want to start the backup operation?
    [Y] Yes [N] No y
    Note:  The list of volumes included for backup does not include all the
    volumes that contain operating system components. This backup cannot be used
    to perform a system recovery. However, you can recover other items if the
    destination media type supports it.
    The backup operation to \\server\backup is starting.
    Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
    Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
    Scanning the file system...
    The backup of volume Local Disk(C:) could not be completed. Error: The parameter is incorrect.
    Summary of the backup operation:
    ------------------
    The backup operation stopped before completing.
    The backup operation stopped before completing.
    Detailed error: The parameter is incorrect.
    Log of files successfully backed up:
    C:\WINDOWS\Logs\WindowsBackup\Backup-30-05-2018_21-06-54.log
    Log of files for which backup failed:
    C:\WINDOWS\Logs\WindowsBackup\Backup_Error-30-05-2018_21-06-54.log
    There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.
    The parameter is incorrect.
    C:\Windows\System32>
    • Proposed as answer by nobody3124 Saturday, June 2, 2018 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:33 PM
  • After the Windows 10 version 1803 upgrade on April 30, 2018, my System Image Backup keeps failing withe two messages. "The backup failed" "The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)".

Note that the System Image Backup worked before the upgrade. The upgrade completed OK and I have not found any other issues.

I checked that =1= The RPC (Remote Procedure Call) service in Services is active and running and =2= the DCOM (Distributed COM) is enabled. There used to be a SYSTEM disk when I did the defrag, the defrag does not show the SYSTEM disk in version 1803.

Is it a bug, or is there a fix or should I try the Image Recovery (that might fail as well).

I can confirm an issue with the wbadmin.exe file packaged with the Windows 1803 release - and how!

I have four operating systems, comprising one dual boot and two other PCs. All are running Windows 10. On the dual boot system, both operating systems were installed as fresh Windows 10 systems and have automatically updated so both are now on v1803. I have encountered no issues on these systems other than an exceptionally drawn out process to recreate the network linking all PCs after the 1803 update brought disaster to what I will refer to as my mainframe system.

To cut it as short as possible, the mainframe PC has been updated down the years from Windows 7 Ultimate (x32) through to the current v1803. It also served as an Apache web server. After Windows 10 v1709 update, this system began to display unusual and troublesome issues. All maintenance efforts failed to address and correct the issues. (I have over 30 years technical experience on PC systems).

All systems were set to perform a Windows system backup every week. Thus the mainframe system had been backed up literally one week prior to the 1803 release, as had the other systems.

After the installation of v1803, the mainframe system continued to present worsening operational problems and I decided to reinstall the backup and work from there to try and correct the problems, before updating again to v1803. To safeguard myself (I mistakenly thought) I also created an EaseUS system backup in addition to the Microsoft image backup.

What should have been a simple process became a compete disaster. The restore ran right through to the end and then threw up an error message that the restore had failed. On a reboot - no operating system found!

All the files were on the drive OK, but it would not boot. Four long days of trying every possible recovery process failed.

Trying to restore the windows image back up using a Windows 10 system recovery disc (created with v1803 from one of the other systems) failed to start with the message that the image file was incorrect. Running the EaseUS recovery disc also failed with the message that the EaseUS backup was 'an incorrect version'! Likewise failure using a restore disc with version 1709

Using the cmd prompt option to restore the windows backup failed similarly. 72 hours of exploring every DISM recovery option, using an install.wim file extracted from the Windows iso source/install.esd failed. Recovery was impossible.

I copied the files from the drive via cmd prompt to another drive and in doing so discovered that my user account files had all vanished - all that was left were the Default and Public user accounts.

Well to cut it short as there was an encyclopaedic library of other stuff I tried, I had to wipe the drive and re-install a fresh version of v1803.

I instructed the installation to install to the drive (C:) and the installation went ahead and the system rebooted OK. There were two other data drives in the affected machine and I had left them connected and set the installation not to format or change them.

When the system rebooted, I found all data on drive D had been erased !!! and no Network drives were visible or could even be seen on any of the systems. This was a disaster on top of a disaster, because all systems were integral to my business as a webmaster/news editor/video maker ( I was able to recover all the deleted data files from drive D )

It took me three further days of investigation and monotonous changing of disc and file permissions etc - not to mention moving the Apache installation to another machine and all that that entailed - before I was able to restore my local network.

Having finally achieved that, I decided to back up the system with a windows system image.

Guess what? Failed with the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) error. Each time I tried.

Mad now, I extracted the wbadmin.exe file from a v1709 iso and ran the windows backup again.

Now the disc I was backing up is a 450GB SSD, with only Windows and half a dozen programs installed at this point. It  showed as 33GB used of 447GB.

I set the backup to go on a drive with 250GB of free space and ran the Win 7 backup from Control Panel. Imagine my surprise when the message came up that the drive wasn't big enough and I needed an extra 179GB of space for the backup.

I am totally baffled by this. I found the Windows bootloader had been installed not on drive C but drive D.

I have edited the boot config file and put it back on C, but it seems as though the Windows operating system itself is on D !!! despite what shows below.

I tried to upload an image here but despite being a

Sep 17, 2013

the upload was refused and I was told this could not happen without my account being verified, but there is no option on my account to get it verified.

C'mon Microsoft . . .

The system is all working OK but I will have to do another heap of work to correct the system, ie: data files on data drives and the complete Windows system on C where I want it and it should have been.

But the point of this long post is to point out that there is a confirmed serious bug in v1803 and the v1803 wbadmin.exe file.

Most importantly, this issue appears to primarily affect systems that have been upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I hope this post gives your technicians some insight in where to look to iron out this bug.

Rgds

UPDATE
    Having wiped the problematic drive and reinstalled a clean version of Windows10 v1803 x32 - the back up fails with RPC error.

This issue has not been corrected despite the release of another June update - June 12, 2018—KB4284835 (OS Build 17134.112)

• Proposed as answer by newsmedia Sunday, June 3, 2018 4:20 AM
    • Edited by newsmedia Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:01 PM
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 4:04 AM
  • This is killing me! I've never had a problem until I just now upgraded to the (long-delayed) Win 10 Pro "Spring Creator's Update" (32-bit) - and it was a "clean install", by the way. I've always been able to make an Image Backup to my 2 internal hard drives from my boot drive, as well as to a Western Digital "My Passport" USB 3.0 3TB external drive.  Now I've wasted about 3 hours trying every sort of "disk-fix" program available, like SFC /scannow and DISM, just to name a couple.  The OS came through with flying colors every single time but I still get the same error message / failure when I try to create the image file. What the Devil gives here, anyway? Is it really that big a deal to fix a little backup program?  I'll be standing by (along with a whole lot of other people) waiting to hear when the bug-fix is going to be made available, and the sooner the better!  After all, it's there for a reason! Oh, and it's now 03 June 2018, by the way...
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 6:14 AM
  • I have the exact same problem as the previous two posters.   My working conditions are the same as well.   Same OS - ditto ditto.  Doesn't matter what HDD I back up to, same error code.  Everything but the "Win7 backup and imaging" works perfectly since the Spring Creator's Update (32 bit).  I just had another update this week (mid-June) but still no fix.  I have one other computer (32 bit OS lap-top - migrated from Win7 to Win10) with this same problem.

I have given up on Microsoft fixing the Win7 backup and imaging tool.  I must have backups.  I cannot wait any longer .....  I have decided to buy third party backup and imaging software (Acronis).  It should be here tomorrow. Then I will say good bye to Microsoft backups.  I should not have to pay for this new software - Microsoft should be footing the bill.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:57 PM
  • Same problem here with RPC error (the backup failed the RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA), running Win10-32 bit and image creation stopped working after 1803...hopr there is a fix soon...

Andre

Friday, June 15, 2018 3:21 AM
  • Hi jjfull,

I to have been pulling my hair out with this RPC error! For some weeks now I've not have a complete backup and just like everyone else the backup fails at about 65%. I have my backups automated and have not had any issues until the latest MS updates. Come on MS sort it out!

• Proposed as answer by Puking Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Puking Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:26 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2018 8:12 PM
  • Hi jjfull,

I to have been pulling my hair out with this RPC error! For some weeks now I've not have a complete backup and just like everyone else the backup fails at about 65%. I have my backups automated and have not had any issues until the latest MS updates. Come on MS sort it out!

Same RPC error here ms. is having a ball a bit of  a sicko wacko
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:27 PM
  • Still broken in any updates as of July 1.  win 10 x64 works fine, win 10 x32 fails with the reported 0x800706BA RPC error when going to external hard disk via USB.    A moderator on answers.microsoft.com claim that MS plans to remove system image backup completely as its not being maintained and this is a side affect of that lack of maintenance.

Nothing worse than leaving something in that's broken to make people think they'll fix it if they really aren't planning to.  Wish there was some real answer or not because they've had more than enough time to take it out if they aren't doing anything about it.

Sunday, July 1, 2018 8:15 PM
  • Nothing worse than leaving something in that's broken to make people think they'll fix it if they really aren't planning to.  Wish there was some real answer or not because they've had more than enough time to take it out if they aren't doing anything about it.

Was somewhat a blessing for me.  Waiting in Microsoft's silence for a solution of unknown duration was not an option for my backup routine.

Immediately moved to Macrium Reflect and was glad I did.  Not only can you create system images more quickly but the images are also "mountable" such that individual files and folders can be directly restored.

This saves me from making and maintaining separate file backups and system images.  A much more efficient solution.  Won't be looking back to Microsoft even if they do fix this issue.

In addition, Macrium will soon be releasing an update that allows creation of Rescue Media directly from the native Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) on Windows 10.  No more separate download of the Preinstallation Envivonment (WinPE).

Try it!  You'll like it!

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 12:59 PM
  • My Windows Pro 10 x 64 version 1803 DOESN'T work fine!  It won't create a system recovery disc or an image backup. Backup fails with IO Device Error (0x8007045D) and the repair disc fails with Could not be created - Unspecified error (0x80004005).This is on a system that has been updated from Windows 7 through Windows 8 to Windows 10, and has never had a problem until this build.

Like others I have spent 5 days trying to fix it to no avail. And I have 30 years technical knowledge too!

I have found until now that Windows 10 is the best version ever of Windows, but Microsoft appear to be going out of their way to undermine that.  I can seriously hear Linux calling (Zorin or Mint)...

Steve.

Saturday, July 7, 2018 11:04 AM
  • We are now approaching the July release of Windows updates - it is now a full 2 system updates from Microsoft who have yet to fix this issue with Windows 10 x32.

I have also yet to see an acknowledgement of this issue from Microsoft.

Sunday, July 8, 2018 10:47 PM
  • Nope. Backup problem remains after installation of the 2018-07 update. 
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:46 PM
  • ConHacon:   Thank you! Thank You!  Thank You!!!!  As others commenting on this topic, I have been trying for months to get around the RPC problem.  I had a 1709 system hanging around, and replaced the 1803 wbengine.exe file and my backup FINALLY completed.  I appreciate your post.  It it very disappointing that Microsoft has not developed a fix for this problem.  It seems simple enough to just replace the wbengine with the old one.  My view is they have become so marketing/ media oriented that they no longer focus on quality items like this one.

Thanks

• Edited by ctyankey Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ctyankey Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:15 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:53 PM
  • I don't have a clue how to do this - 1) where would I find the right wbengine.exe file and where would I go to copy it over the current one?   and  2) is there any change at all that Microsoft will fix this in the near future?

PS - There seems to be a "Hotfix" provided by Microsoft?  Where is that (anyone have a link), does it work for this backup problem, and if so how does one use that hotfix?

• Edited by niztebbeR Sunday, July 15, 2018 1:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Benhase Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Benhase Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:43 PM
    Sunday, July 15, 2018 1:48 PM
  • Here is the fix.
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17711
    We fixed an issue where creating a system image from backup and restore in control panel would fail on x86 machines.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/07/06/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17711/

Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Here is the fix.
    We fixed an issue where creating a system image from backup and restore in control panel would fail on x86 machines.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/07/06/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17711/

Thanks for the tip!

Funny how they make it sound like it's a bug with RS5 preview.  Wonder if the rest of us will have to wait for general release or if RS4 will be patched as well.

Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:35 PM
  • It better be the latter. Burying the fix in a complex build will inevitably mean we trade one solution for two new problems and we will all be meeting on technet in another post.
    Friday, July 20, 2018 5:41 PM
  • If this fix must await the next feature upgrade it seems to answer my question earlier in this thread. It is trivial to apply a routine patch to fix the file used in saving an image but not the copy used in the Recovery Environment to restore an image!

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Here is the fix.

Thanks for the update, but where's the bloody fix already?  I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1803, Build 17134.191 and as of today (01 August 2018) it's still got exactly the same problem!  There's no reason why they couldn't have slipstreamed the fix into one of the several updates that have come out since 06 July, the date of that article!  If anybody has any info on when they're going to get off the toilet, please post it here! It's ridiculous that we haven't been able to make a stinkin' image backup for all of these months now, when the problem was both a Mickey Mouse simple one and well-known to Microsoft.  What a pain in the...  well, you know.
    • Edited by Travis_Lloyd Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:55 AM Fix typo
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:55 AM
  • The same thing is happening to me as well.
    I'm simply trying to perform a Windows 7 image backup on a Win10 (1803) client, and it persistantly fails upon completion of the preparation phase and when the actual transfer of the image data to the external medium.

What on earth do RPC Server calls have to do with an Image backup ???
    I have never seen this problem before on any Win10 client (1709 or 1803), and I do Win7 Image backups almost daily.

The exact error message is:

The Backup Failed.
    The RPC Server is unavailable (0x800706BA)

I have tried to Google the error code, but never found anything related to Backups.
    I have tried to backup to different external media devices, and to a NAS, but to no avail. Same error all the time.
    This is a Windows 10 32bit client running on an ASUS QM1 Stick.
    Everything worked just fine under 1709

Any help is apprechiated.

Viking

Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:31 AM
  • OK, So we need to have the old wbengine.exe file and then how can we copy this in the windows folder? I was unable to change the permissions of the file. Normally it's a piece of cake but in this case no fix :(
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 11:11 AM
  • Good luck to offices running Sage. Sage were late supporting 64bit. Consequently many offices have Windows 32 bit. The 0x800796BA error has hit all our PCs. When is a fix going to hit the streets?

• Edited by Berni42 Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:24 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:24 AM
  • (Bump)  Has anyone tested this problem in a 32-bit version on 1809 yet?
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Can you please explain in the detail the "recovery command prompt"  method you used to restore the 1709 version of wbengine.exe?
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 7:26 AM
  • I have upload a copy of  wbengine.exe from 32-bit Windows 10 1709 here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoFfwVnUJFXwgpRxiYb6uy7_hykrmQ

Next question is, how do we copy it over the existing copy of wbengine, without removing the hard drive and mounting it in another machine?

• Edited by Mark O'Loughlin Thursday, August 30, 2018 7:53 AM improved version
    • Proposed as answer by Alan Singfield Monday, September 10, 2018 9:08 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 7:32 AM
  • Bug fixed! Use wbengine.exe from Mark O'Loughlin. 

You need the permission to rewrite wbengine.exe in system32 (change owner (Trustedinstaller) to administrator or users. Then apply full control). Substitute wbengine.exe using the file from Mark O'Loughlin.

Problem solved! :D Have a nice day!

Monday, September 3, 2018 5:21 PM
  • AWESOME! Will check this week if it works! Thanks
    Monday, September 10, 2018 7:30 AM
  • After changing the file permissions, WBENGINE.exe was still in use, I had to:

NET STOP wbengine

Monday, September 10, 2018 9:09 PM
  • Thank you, Mark. Your file resolved my BK problem.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 3:35 PM
  • This worked, but after backup, I had a problem with my taskbar and tablet mode, so ran sfc /scannow and it replaced it with the original.  Word to wise: keep M. O'Loughlin's file close by for the next time you have to back up.

Josept T Tannenbaum www.computerhelpservicesaz.com

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:11 PM
  • Hi all,

I can say that the file of Mark, maybe in combination of enabling RPC things in Services, has solved my issue of not being able to back-up to my external disk. However, currently I am stuck with not being able to restore the WindowsSystemImage back-up now (see below for more information), leading to the same error code (0x800706BA).

More background information about my issue:

I made a complete driver back-up in W10 32 bits and upgraded to W10 64 bits. I wanted to restore my back-up there but it failed. If I can remember correctly, it told me to insert a 32 bits installation file(?). I decided to go back to 32 bits to see if I can get to restore my back-up there (so I can manually split what I actually need, I didn't foresee that this would happen). It asked me to create a restore disc, and I did. I rebooted my PC with the disc and started the restoring process, though it failed with the same error code.

Somehow after this error the OS (W10 32 bits) got deleted (why?!) and I had to reinstall it again. Reaching my desktop I decided to copy and paste Mark's file and checked the Services for the RPC settings. I was all set, just like before backing-up, and decided to run the restoring process... again leading to the same error code.

Could anybody please help me? My only wish is to lay hands on my most important files and move forward to 64 bits again.

Kind regards,

Bb

(PS: I am sorry for giving this thread a twist.)

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:20 PM
  • Could anybody please help me? My only wish is to lay hands on my most important files and move forward to 64 bits again.

If you can access the image file, right click on it and mount it.  You can then browse the image for your "important files."

Friday, September 14, 2018 2:41 PM
  • I am a humble and not so tech-savvy Microsoft user. I tried to do the right thing by creating backup media as recommended by Microsoft and encountered the same problem regarding RPC server being unavailable. I found this thread and have been totally bemused by the efforts people have been putting in trying to resolve an issue created by Microsoft, and by the length of time the bug has been left unresolved. There must be literally millions of Microsoft customers affected by this. What happens if their systems need restoring and the process recommended by Microsoft cannot be followed because of this known bug? I tried getting help from Microsoft and was simply referred to a link to a paid Microsoft help site. Unbelievable. I understand there is another Windows update due. Given the length of time this has been going on, It would be nice to know from Microsoft whether there is a fix for this issue included, as waiting for a couple of weeks doing nothing would be preferable to expending all the resources that so many people have been doing. Well Microsoft?
    • Edited by FifiTheWonderDog Sunday, September 16, 2018 10:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by DuggeeJ Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DuggeeJ Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:00 PM
    Sunday, September 16, 2018 10:28 PM
  • OK - just spent 45 minutes wasted time on a MS Chat with a friendly lady about 'RPC Server Unavailable' and failed BackUp after 1803 version - but I was staggered that First Line Support don't even have any worthwhile info in their database about this fault/bug.

I tend to agree with FifiThe WonderDog that it is unbelievable a 32 bit user on 1803 has no Back up and no viable solution from Microsoft -yet …..

The attempt to back up since my last 1709 successful session is now screwed up with the failed 1803 version.

Any other innovative ideas how we can back up what we have on our machines?. Bit for Bit Drive copy ??. I've never used one...….

Blood pressure now quite high so better chill

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:09 PM
  • A response through Tech Suport Guy was this: “Try these others they work better. I prefer Macrium or EaseUs and they are free. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/“. I haven’t looked at them yet, but in the absence of the most basic customer support from Microsoft, I intend to.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 10:50 PM

• Is it a bug, or is there a fix or should I try the Image Recovery (that might fail as well).

Fixed in Windows 10 October 2018 Update
    • Proposed as answer by john.b_ Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:41 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:41 AM
  • I have just applied the October update (KB4462919 + others) and the error is still present.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2018 9:38 PM
  • I have just applied the October update (KB4462919 + others) and the error is still present.

The "October update (KB4462919" you applied is for the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803 build 17134) and not for the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (1809 build 17763).

If you don't wish to wait and see if MS eventually patches 1803 for this bug, you will have to update to 1809.  Unfortunately, you may have a short wait for 1809 as well since MS has temporarily pulled it to fix some file deletion bugs.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:18 PM
  • Here is the fix.

Good news!

I just applied Windows 10 version 1809, October 2018 Update (Build 17763.55) and the 1083 (32 bit) Backup - Create a System Image - issue is fixed. I have only tested the Backup side (not the Restore side). Progress!

Friday, October 12, 2018 10:05 PM
  • I have the same problem on my desktop W10 Pro 32 bit. My notebook W10 Pro 64 bit there are no problems with the backup. The 32 bit desktop had a series of error one was a Java error. I removed Java. Then an unusual condition was encountered followed by the RPC server is available. Microsoft Support tried a few fixes then recommended a clean install. I am wondering if the backup will work with 64 bit migration? How to migrate to Windows 10 64 bit from 32 bit versions of Windows - Microsoft Community https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-migrate-to-windows-10-64-bit-from-32-bit/40d90c4e-8845-4bcb-bb2f-aeab312caf74
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:12 AM