none
XP Unable to Log in (Sometimes) and Additional Problems with Steady State RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am maintaining 23 computers in a public access location used for job search related activities.  I have recently created a master image in Windows XP Pro.  There are 2 accounts.  1 is an admin account with full access and the other is a user account with VERY limited access locked down with Windows Steady State.  Ever since the deployment we have been getting some very strange errors sporadically.  Users are allowed to use the internet, save to USB or floppy or temporarily to only the desktop and use Open Office for creating and modifying documents.  I have the computers on a time limit and the accounts are locked so any changes made after they log out will be erased  and the computer will return to how it was. 

This works great most of the time.  Unfortunately weird things start happening.  The placement of items on the desktop gets moved or the placement of the countdown timer gets moved.  Sometimes the desktop wallpaper gets changed.  Sometimes items people save on the desktop aren't removed.  And the biggest problem is that sometimes we get an error when logging into the user account that it can't find a certain file (usually stored in a temp folder under application data) and it immediately logs out. 

The remedy for all of these problems is the same.  I log into the admin account, unlock the user account, log into the user account, log back into the admin account, lock the user account and then reboot.  This has fixed it every time but it is becoming a real pain to have to do this. 

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:34 PM

All replies

• That’s a possible that the user profile broken or corrupted. Try to create another user and reset the restrictions to see if the same issue occurs. Also turn off WDP for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:30 AM
  • I don't think the Windows Disk Protect is on.  It is just the user account that is locked to prevent changes.  I should say that this computer is cloned from a master image using Acronis and sysprep to prepare the image for deployment.  Could the user account get corrupted in the cloning process?  Whats weird is that this only seems to happen sometimes.  Generally when someone saves something to the desktop or makes some kind of change that then reappears when you log back in.  But this only happens every once in a while and is not easily replicated with any kind of consistency. 

I will try to take a few test computers and create a new user and apply the restrictions and see what happens.  In the meantime and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam 

Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:55 PM