Verification of successful installation of sharepoint farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have  a scenario where i have 5 servers in a farm and i have Central Administration service running on 4 servers where as the other one is web front end.

Now im updating the farm with some cumulative updates. How can i make sure that the versions are installed properly on all the servers in the farm?

Actually the first time i tried installing the patches, it failed but it gave me the needed version in Operations->Servers in farm. Later on the web applications were not getting created properly. so, I reinstalled the sharepoint server 2007. After this i did not install any patches on it but still the sharepoint is showing me the updated version. Now, what shoudl i infer from this??? has the second time installation been done properly or should i format all the 5 srevers in the farm and install sharepoitn again???

Regards,

Sharath

sharath kumart shivarama

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, August 29, 2011 7:14 PM "as a new question" meant as a new *starter* question i.e. a new thread.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you do not have any error in logs and also versions is correct.

It is good to stay with it.

As a final verification step you can test your application functionalities  as well.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:29 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:32 PM

All replies

• Applying patches to SharePoint is done in a sequential manner with the central administration server being patched first. Once you install the pacth on the servers, you should run pscofig on each server starting from the server hosting Central Administration and then the others.

Central administration should ideally be running only of one server ( a non WFE). Can you include details about your environment and the roles of the five servers?

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:09 PM
  • HI,

After applying the patches you can check the upgrade log if there is  any error or not.

Also you can check the event viewer as well.

Also in the central admin look for the version.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:14 AM
  •  

The Central Admin service needs to run on all the 5 servers i have in the farm.  

Regards,

sharath

sharath kumart shivarama
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

When i check the version in the central admin it is the updated one. But, my concern is how can i get the updated version without installing the patches???

Is it right to use this as it is or should i format my system and then install sharepoint again?

Regards,

Sharath

sharath kumart shivarama
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

If you do not have any error in logs and also versions is correct.

It is good to stay with it.

As a final verification step you can test your application functionalities  as well.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:29 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:32 PM