Computer slow to respond. RRS feed

• Question

• How do I clear cookies and caches? What else can I do to speed up my slow computer?
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Harold Brockwell,

What is the exact symptom?

Did your computer only respond slow when open IE?

As what S.Sengupta said, there may be a number of causes behind slow performance.

If this issue only related IE, we could refer to Ashidacchi’s suggestion to have a try.

If the issue persists, we could try to reset Internet Explorer options and delete personal  settings to have a try.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

But there is a possibility that this slow performance issue is not caused by IE cookies and caches.

If the computer still respond slow after resetting Internet Explorer options, please S.Sengupta’s suggestion to perform a clean boot to have a test.

If the issue is gone, then it could be caused be some 3<sup>rd</sup> party applications. We could use the dichotomy to find the culprit.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 2, 2016 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to clear cookies and cache, please refer to
     Internet Explorer 9, 10 and 11 (Win) - Clearing Cache and Cookies.

But I'm afraid your computer won't be as faster as you expect, after clearing cookies and caches.
    I'd like to make it clear to make performance better:
    1) when do you feel your computer is slow?
    2) how is your computer spec (CPU, RAM, Graphics, OS, etc.)

Regards.
    Sunday, May 1, 2016 1:24 AM
  • Which OS are you using?

It has been already suggested by Ashidacchi  on how to clear cookies and cache.

There may be a number of causes behind slow performance. I shall suggest you to start with Clean boot

and How to use Perfmon or Performance Monitor in Windows 10 / 8 / 7

There are many anti virus applications which also slow down the performance.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, May 1, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi Harold Brockwell,

What is the exact symptom?

Did your computer only respond slow when open IE?

As what S.Sengupta said, there may be a number of causes behind slow performance.

If this issue only related IE, we could refer to Ashidacchi’s suggestion to have a try.

If the issue persists, we could try to reset Internet Explorer options and delete personal  settings to have a try.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

But there is a possibility that this slow performance issue is not caused by IE cookies and caches.

If the computer still respond slow after resetting Internet Explorer options, please S.Sengupta’s suggestion to perform a clean boot to have a test.

If the issue is gone, then it could be caused be some 3<sup>rd</sup> party applications. We could use the dichotomy to find the culprit.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 2, 2016 9:44 AM