Applying Updates to Windows Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am running a Win2k3 domain.  My servers run in a virtual VmWare environment.  I have Windows 7 clients and a combination of Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 servers.  I have an Exchange 2010 server.

What is the best practice when applying updates to servers and clients.

• Should I be reviewing each individual update (for servers) before applying?
    • Should server updates be applied manually?
    • Should I take a snapshot of each server before applying updates?
    • What process should I use to apply updates to the server running Exchange

Please provide any guidance.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hi

I know you don't have a large setup but I would look to deploy WSUS in your environment. 

Once WSUS is up and running you can patch the clients machines automatically, and patch the server and Exchange server manually.

I only apply Critical and Security patches to the servers and never had any problem. I never touch the .net framework as it always creates problem. 

Once you have WSUS you can create update groups where you can filter certain types of updates which makes easier to check and approve.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by nubianbabe Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:58 PM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi

I know you don't have a large setup but I would look to deploy WSUS in your environment. 

Once WSUS is up and running you can patch the clients machines automatically, and patch the server and Exchange server manually.

I only apply Critical and Security patches to the servers and never had any problem. I never touch the .net framework as it always creates problem. 

Once you have WSUS you can create update groups where you can filter certain types of updates which makes easier to check and approve.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by nubianbabe Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:58 PM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Thanks for the guidance.

Servers will be performed manually and the clients will be patched automatically.

Thanks again

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:58 PM