Portal, date and time in a one row? RRS feed

• Question

• in the portal it is possible to select a date in one row!
    is it possible to choose the date and time in a one row?
    if not, what are the workarounds?
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:56 AM

Answers

• This question contains two question. First about the "where is time field on portal" and "why 4 hours added". First question is already answered by Expiscornovus.

Second is a bug. DateTime data field always contains both parts - date and time. But you can display one of them or both. In SCSM 2012 portal only date part is displayed. In this case time always is "00:00" (24 hours notation). When you save request from portal it's saved in database as "24.04.2012 00:00". The problem is that it's UTC datetime. When console or portal gets date from database they transform it to your local time (Moscow Time Zone, UTC +4 in your case). This is why you see "04:00" in your console.

http://www.scsmsolutions.com/ freemanru (at) gmail (dot) com

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure what part of the portal you are talking about? Is this 2010 or 2012? Maybe you could provide us with a screenshot?

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:15 AM

• On our portal 2012 we have chosen a date .

Time we did not choose

But the same thing  in the console.

Time 4:00:00 АМ!

Is it possible to choose date and time on the portal 2012 at the one line ?

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Unfortunately Silverlight only renders date in the Self-Service portal for the date control:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/11/08/request-offering-wizard-overview.aspx

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:21 AM
  • This question contains two question. First about the "where is time field on portal" and "why 4 hours added". First question is already answered by Expiscornovus.

Second is a bug. DateTime data field always contains both parts - date and time. But you can display one of them or both. In SCSM 2012 portal only date part is displayed. In this case time always is "00:00" (24 hours notation). When you save request from portal it's saved in database as "24.04.2012 00:00". The problem is that it's UTC datetime. When console or portal gets date from database they transform it to your local time (Moscow Time Zone, UTC +4 in your case). This is why you see "04:00" in your console.

http://www.scsmsolutions.com/ freemanru (at) gmail (dot) com

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Does anyone have a work around for this on know if will be addressed in a future version, maybe SP1?  

The only thing that I can think of is to have a separate user prompt for time with a regex validation put that into a custom class then trigger orchestrator to take the date from the date field and the string from the time field and convert them to a date time somehow and put it all back where I want it. Seems like a heck of a lot of work just to put a time in a field.

I currently have processes that I want to schedule for a future date and time. My users make a request via the self-service portal and one of the user prompts is for a date. That date is then mapped to the scheduled start-time field for a manual activity that sits in place just before the run-book activity, preventing the runbook from running until that manual activity is completed.  

A orchestrator runbook fires off every 5 min and looks for manual activities that are in a specific status where the scheduled start time is before now(). Every time it finds one of those it marks it completed which then allows the runbook to run completing the scheduled task at the time the requester intended it to run. 

Example:

An employee is leaving the company. Their last day is next week Friday. HR wants their user account to be disabled at 5PM next week Friday. I have a request offering that allows a user to request a user account be disabled. HR goes to the portal, selects the request offering to disable a user. They are prompted to select the user and set the effective date.  As described above, all the necessary review activities take place and then the system moves on to a manual activity with a scheduled start time. The runbook activity after that which disables the user account and does all the rest of the employee deprovisioning process never runs until after that manual activity is completed. 

This is where my runbook that runs on a timer comes it. Every 5 min this thing looks for manual activities in a specific status that are scheduled to run. next friday at 5:05pm it will run and mark that MA to completed triggering the orchestrator runbook that will disable the user. Or at least that's how I'd like it to work.

Today I can only do it based on the day, not the time of day which is fine for most activities. However other tasks like rebooting a server. Maybe in some circumstances I want it to happen immediately. If I could specify a time that wouldn't be a problem, I'd just set the scheduled time to now in the self service portal. Want it to reboot 10pm tomorrow, again wouldn't be a problem if only I could specify a time, just set that time in the self service portal for the given request offering.  

I guess with my long winded question and explanation I'm hoping:

• either someone has a work around already or
    • someone can tell me this is addressed near term, say SP1 so I don't have to try and find my own work around Or
    • MS will see this, see some value in it and address it in a future version.

Thoughts?

Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:36 AM