none
Editing User Defined Text Field (lookup) Produces Error When Saving... RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently encountered and error when attempting to save my project. Im using MS Project 2010 Standard with the latest SP installed. I have a custom user defined field titled POC (point of contact) that was defined months ago. When I attempt to edit this field i.e. add a new POC, I get an error directly afterwards when attempting to save the project. The error is the dialog box that pops up and says...

"The file cannot be opened.

• check the the file name and path are correct.
    • check that the file format is recognized by project.
    • project files saved in version earlier than MS 98 cant be opened

...BLAH BLAH"

I have to close the project out and restart and of course lose any changes made to that user defined field. Any feedback is appreciated.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:50 PM

Answers

• Try the XML recover on a copy of the file to see if that solves the issue.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Oler Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:27 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 4:51 PM

All replies

• Does this occur in a new file or just one file?  Is the custom field a lookup list?  Give us a bit more details about your field definition (custom field name) and we'll try to help.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:22 PM
  • This is a file that I have been using for about a year. The only time I get the error is when I attempt to edit this custom text field. This text field is a lookup field with about 15 names defined previously. When I attempt to add a new name to the field and then save the file I get the error. I sent the project file to a colleague who attempted to make the same change and he got the same error. If I reopen the file after not saving changes and make any other changes it saves with no errors. Im using the Text 12 field.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:26 PM
  • On a copy of the file, does the issue recur if you add a new costom field with a lookup list?

On a copy of the file, export to XML and import into a new file. Then test again.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:37 PM
  • Julie,

I havent tried the xml option yet however I did make a copy and attempt to edit the "text4" field by making it a lookup field and adding a few names. When I went to save the file, I got the same error. Thoughts??

Robert Oler, PMP

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Oh, so the initial POC field is just a 'regular' text field?  How many entries are in the field?
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:10 PM
  • A little more information...

It appears that any custom field that I had in this project, if of the lookup variety is corrupt. I had (2) text fields with about 15 or less entries each it their lookup table. I also have a few outline codes as well that have lookup table associated with them. If I attempt to either edit the lookup table or even choose an item from one of the existing lookup tables i get the error mentioned above.

THis is very worrisome as I have many views/filters/groups based on the information in these fields.

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Try the XML recover on a copy of the file to see if that solves the issue.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Oler Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:27 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Julie,

I finally bit the bullet and went the .xml recover route. This definitely fixed the problem but requires quite a bit of time to check data integrity. I did notice a few custom fields did not copy over and a couple of durations were off. Additionally, as you know all formatting is lost so any custom bars and such will need to be redone. I was able to use the organizer to copy views/filters/groups/layouts back in so that helped.

I was pretty surprised all of my baseline data came over as well, thought I was going to lose those. All in all, great recommendation. Thanks for your time.

Robert Oler, PMP

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:27 PM
  • You're welcome Robert.  Yes, the XML save is not loss-less - you will use custom formatting but it doesn't rebuild the data and maintain Project calculated data.
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:57 PM