none
Configuration information describing this enterprise is not available

Question

• Greetings:

I'm in bad shape here.

We added a Windows 2012 R2 std.   server to an active directory with a single Win 2003 server.  It was running fine for months until we tried to remove the Windows 2003 server.  I went through the steps to make the 2012 server the Operations Manager and PDC.  All seemed fine.

When I ran dcpromo on the Win2003 server it first would not let me, saying instead that it couldn't find another PDC.  So.... I ran dcpromo /forceremove and remove AD from it.

Now I can't run any of the AD administrative tools.  Most giving the error in the Title of something similar.  I found a post mentioning that Win 2003 does not correctly replicate the NETLOGON and SYSVOL shares.    I did a NET SHARE command at the admin command prompt and see no entries for NETLOGON or SYSVOL. :-(

I've seen posts about how to fix the Ntfrs (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/7dde2a7c-416b-4ba4-8861-cfa915c4eba9/a-processing-error-occurred-collecting-data-using-this-base-domain-controller?forum=winserverGP)  but it must be done on the Win2003 server and it's too late for that now.

However, users that are logged in are still able to access the server.  (I don't know what will happen if they logout though.) Plus, in Computer Management I can see the shares and users 

Is there anyway I can fix this (setup the shares?) without losing everything?  This is a very simple setup with under 20 users, no Exchange--though they do use SQL Server.  There were not group policies.

Any ideas?  Anything short of starting from scratch?

TIA,
    Dan

Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hi

Check these;

Restoring and Rebuilding SYSVOL

https://technet.microsoft.com/tr-tr/library/cc816596%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947022

If issue still persist,you should perfom ad recovery from a sucessfull backup;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730683(v=ws.10).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, December 2, 2016 6:49 AM
  • > We added a Windows 2012 R2 std.   server to an active directory with a single Win 2003 server.

How did you manage to do that? 2012R2 AFAIK cannot be promoted in a 2003 Domain, you must first introduce 2008(R2).

> I ran dcpromo /forceremove and remove AD from it.

Congrats - you deleted your domain...

> Any ideas?  Anything short of starting from scratch?

Assumably you have no system state backup, so you start from scratch.

Friday, December 2, 2016 9:36 AM
  • How did you manage to do that? 2012R2 AFAIK cannot be promoted in a 2003 Domain, you must first introduce 2008(R2).

> I ran dcpromo /forceremove and remove AD from it.

Congrats - you deleted your domain...

Martin,you can add server 2012 DC to an existing server 2003 domain.(functional level needs to be server 2003.),You can check this migration article also;

http://blogs.msmvps.com/mweber/2012/07/30/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-or-windows-server-2003-r2-to-windows-server-2012/

and i agree with you,he is already deleted the domain :-)

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, December 2, 2016 12:48 PM
  • Thanks for your replies.  The interesting thing is that users are still able to login and used shared resources on the 2012 server so (some) of the AD data exists, but not the SYSVOL and NETLOGON shares.  Is there any way to preserve the user and permission info?  Can I demote to a Workgroup setup and have the AD users become local users on the server  (we don't really need AD)?  Alternatively, can I reinstall AD without losing the existing info?

Thanks,
    Dan

Friday, December 2, 2016 4:23 PM
  • You should perform dc recovery (ad recovery) if you have a successfull backup.That's the correct method.(you can find the steps on my previous message from the link)

Friday, December 2, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Burak,

I can't get the old server's backup to restore.  The new server apparently never had the NETLOGIN and SYSLOG shares so restoring it won't help, correct?

Dan

Friday, December 2, 2016 9:18 PM
  • Hi Dan,
    I am sorry that if you have no backup of old domain controller, you might be not possible to restore it back now. That is the most important reason which we always suggest to make scheduled backup.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 5, 2016 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 9, 2016 6:09 AM