none
Cannot activate phone-based passwords RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use Microsoft Authenticator to use the phone-based password feature. I have no use for the earlier two-factor authentication feature, so I only put it on my iPhone today. I have used the iOS app to enter my Microsoft user name and password, but, having done that, I see no way to activate any feature to turn on the one-touch password feature. The documentation that is provided is no help on this subject. It simply states, "Newly added accounts are automatically enabled, so you're good to go." Well, this is not true. News stories I have read on the subject say there should be a dropdown menu on the Authenticator "home" page to turn on the feauture, but no such thing is on my Authenticator software. I have tried a couple of Microsoft support phone lines, but they're completely clueless, having never heard of Authenticator. One support person told me to call Apple. The only saving grace about that advice would be that at least Apple would have the same advice that the clueless folks at Microsoft have. I just need to know how to switch this one-touch password feature on.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:31 PM

All replies

• You need to activate identity verification app on your MS Account ...   Go to accounts.microsoft.com then click security at the top then link that says "more security options".    You'll see the enable identity identification app (Authenticator App).

Regards,

Steve

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:48 PM
  • That did not work for me, either.

accounts.microsoft.com takes me to the administrator portal, because I'm an O365 admin.

I have gone through myapps.microsoft.com, which takes me to a page that I can't seem to access from any other link, i.e 

https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/r#/profile

Here I can see "Additional security verification" (https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/Proofup.aspx) and I have activated and configured the mobile app, and have selected "Use verification code from app" as my "preferred option".

Then I sign out and when I sign in again, I still get prompted for my password, but my phone never engages. Not even 2FA.

cheers, teylyn

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:34 PM
  • Hi all

When you login personal Microsoft account and the login page show "Use the Microsoft Authenticator app instead", it means we have enabled phone sign-in automatically.

After we select this, next time we login will authenticate with APP.

If you have any other questions about Microsoft Authenticator APP, welcome to post back here.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by ShuiShengbao Monday, May 8, 2017 7:10 AM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 8:20 AM
  • What Walter said  ^^^^^^^^^

Steve 

Friday, April 21, 2017 3:00 PM
  • What about Office 365 accounts? There is no link to use the app on the page where you supply your password:

cheers, teylyn

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Hi WayCoolKennel

Could you use sign-in function?

Regards 

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:31 AM