"Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer", Server 2008 sp1 is the client, not the WSS server, but it is fixed after opening Windows Explorer on the client RRS feed

• Question

• This scenario is different from all the others.

Scenario: User logs into Terminal Server 2008 SP2 x86, open a secure WSS 3.0 site: https://wss.mysharepoint.com, goes to a library, and attempts to use the "Actions, Open with Windows Explorer". Immediately get the "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer" - but also fails with IE8 or IE10 32bit browsers.

Yes Desktop Experience is installed and yes Webclient service is started. The fix is what stumps me.

Yes the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters\BasicAuthLevel is set to 2

Simply closing IE and using Windows Explorer to "Map Network Drive, Connect to a Web Site that you can use to store your documents and pictures" allows access to the same library.

AFTER I map a drive through normal Windows Explorer, I return to the same library via WSS and try the same thing again "Actions, Open with Windows Explorer" and it works this time:

No services were stopped previously and all I had to do was map a drive, then WSS works for the remainder of my session. If I log out and back in to the pc, the same thing starts again until I again authenticate via Windows Explorer.

At my wits end.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Clear your IE cache, Uncheck the “Enable Protected Mode” option of IE  and add the site to "Trusted Sites" zone in IE and try again

2.  I hope you have restarted the server after installing Desktop Experience Feature, if not, please do

3. Make sure, a file name or a folder name in a URL doesn't contain more than 128 characters as per the article kb/923906/

Let me know

Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:33 PM
  • 1. Completed previously.

2. Desktop Experience has been installed, uninstalled several times.

3. We conform to best practices and as such no wasted space in urls.  No url works even 25 characters.

Did you read the part about it works in Windows Explorer, just the browser cannot kick start it, only the clinet mapping can.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 9:32 PM
  • That kb article actually applies to older IE versions, specifically 6 & 7. We are using 8,9, or 10.  All fail.  Fully patched from M$ as well.
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 9:33 PM