none
Remote DNS Settings

Question

• Why oh Why Microsoft did you remove support for DNS changes via GPO.

I work for a school district that provides students lap top computers to take home.  All of these, are running Windows 7 or 8.1 Pro.  We have an AD domain running at 2K8 Functional level.  We have contracted with a third party company to provide web filtering for our students when off campus.  This is accomplished through modifying the computers DNS settings.  I have to be able to set the DNS settings remotely, since these computers are already deployed, and make sure that the users cannot change them while at home.  I need to make sure that any adapter that students install at home, will also get these DNS settings so that they cannot get around the filtering.  A GPO would have been the perfect fit.  How can I accomplish these things. I am concerned that a GPO start up script won't address a USB wifi card that is installed post startup and login.  What are my best options.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I have to be able to set the DNS settings remotely, since these computers are already deployed, and make sure that the users cannot change them while at home.

Before going further, what DNS configuration do we want to deploy? Besides, are these students local admins of the laptops? If these students are standard domain users, they should have not permissions to change DNS settings of the NICs and they should not have the permissions to add a NIC. However, if we do have given local admins privileges to the students, then we can't really restrict them.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 16, 2015 6:53 AM