System Center 2012 SQL Server Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I've searched online but can't find a solid answer to this.

As far as I'm aware System Center 2012 licensing includes SQL Server Standard licensing on one server solely for the use of system center products.

Our plan is to install Operations Manager 2012 SP1, Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 and Service Manager 2012 SP1 on the same virtual machine, each with their own SQL Server instance on the same guest, we are testing this in a lab environment first to make sure everything interoperates well and to get an idea of resource usage before installing in our production environment.

Two questions:

1. Does the System Center 2012 SQL Server licensing allow you to install SQL Server 2012 Standard from a regular install medium? I keep reading things such as a license for "SC2012 includes a license for SQL Server runtime" or "System Center 2012 includes SQL Server with no need for a license key". This leads me to believe only the SQL instance installed by the System Center 2012 installer is supported under licensing but I hope I'm wrong.
    2. Given that the Software Update Point is a SCCM site system role and WSUS is a requirement; is it against System Center 2012 SQL Server licensing to place the WSUS SUSDB SQL database on an instance used by System Center products? If so, I can just place this on our current SQL server, however, would be nice to keep it on its own server as the WSUS server/install will be migrated to the new "System Center" server we are testing.

Hope those questions aren't too hard to comprehend and thanks in advance for an answer.

PS, if possible, could an MS source be provided as an answer to the questions? :)

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The license states as far as I an see that you can use SQL Server Standard editions. There is nothing written about version.

1. You can install it from a normal install media there is no special SQL media for System Center 2012.

2. As WSUS in Server 2012 doesn't support SQL Server 2012 that is not possible. See this Technet Link for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852344.aspx

Another side note, I would not install any System Center 2012 Product on the same server, even for test, there are so many different requirements and potential performance challenges so i strongly recommend that you install them in separate servers.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The license states as far as I an see that you can use SQL Server Standard editions. There is nothing written about version.

1. You can install it from a normal install media there is no special SQL media for System Center 2012.

2. As WSUS in Server 2012 doesn't support SQL Server 2012 that is not possible. See this Technet Link for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852344.aspx

Another side note, I would not install any System Center 2012 Product on the same server, even for test, there are so many different requirements and potential performance challenges so i strongly recommend that you install them in separate servers.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:57 AM
  • Thanks for your prompt answer, Jörgen.

Hmm good point. I have WSUS 4.0 running on SQL 2012 at home and WSUS 3.0 SP2 running on SQL 2012 in our lab environment at work, I may have to rethink this and move it elsewhere.

I'm seeing what we can get away with at the moment as we don't have too many resources to play around with. Separating all three SC products would yield three servers with at least 4GB RAM usage each, at the moment SCOM and SCCM are happily running on 8GB on one, SCSM is going to be tested on it once SCCM 2007 R3 apps etc are migrated to SCCM 2012 and tested to be working fine. 

Currently assuming our small <150 machine network won't stress it too much. :-/ 

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:27 PM
  • I would second Jörgen's statement about seperating the servers.  At the very least I would have SCSM on its own server(s).  Although you do have few clients, having all 3 products running on a single server will surely result in performance issues.  SCSM can be a pretty intensive product when you start implementing CMDB, DW.

If you do end up keeping them on a single server I hope you post back on your experience.  Interested to hear how it goes.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Yep, SCSM is the one I'm worried about. We had to turn off some of its database jobs in production as it was killing our SQL server (one single one running SCSM2012, SCOM2007, SCCM2007, SP2010, WSUS, Dynamics Nav, etc. across three instances). Hopefully we can tune it to be less resource-intensive and get it playing nicely.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:44 PM