none
Changing Privacy level on IE 11

Question

• I am trying to change Privacy setting on IE from Medium to MEdium High. SO far cant find the GPO. From the research i can see going to: User Configuration - Windows Settings - Internet Explorer Maintenance – Security

But i do not have Internet Explorer Maintenance? Only Internet Explorer  folder.

CAn someone please recomend where this setting is?

Thank you.

Monday, June 29, 2015 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before going further, sorry for the late response.

>>But i do not have Internet Explorer Maintenance? Only Internet Explorer  folder

Prior to IE10, we can utilize Internet Explorer Maintanence(IEM) to configure IE Privacy settings. However, beginning from IE10, IEM has been deprecated in favor of Group Policy Preferences, Administrative Templates (.admx), and the Internet Explorer Administration Kit 10 (IEAK 10). 

To manage Privacy settings for IE 11, we can use IEAK 11 to do this.

Regarding replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Appendix B: Replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Regarding IEAK, the following articles can be referred to for more information.

Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) Information and Downloads

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb219517.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:08 AM

All replies

• You need to go to User Configuration > Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Internet settings.

Right click on Internet Settings and choose the version of IE. IE10 is for IE10 and above. 

Internet Explorer maintenance was the old school GPO to edit these policies. 

You have to set the privacy levels for each zone... the privacy tab you see in IE is for the internet zone. So once you set this zone to what you want it should reflect on the client machines once GP is applied. 

Monday, June 29, 2015 4:28 PM
  • I have set it to IE 10. But when i go into setting of IE 10 Properties and click on the Privacy, the setting ir grayed out, and i cant make changes?

And if i understand it correct,  Control Panel Settings is a Preferences and users will be able to change it. I would like to enforce it. So i am looking for the policy?

Thank you.

• Edited by Ogeccut Monday, June 29, 2015 4:43 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2015 4:30 PM
  • the privacy setting you see grayed out is for your internet privacy setting zone. Post IE10 the 4 "zones" can have different privacy settings for each other. 

If you want to change the GPO via preferences go admin templates>windows components>IE>Internet Control Panel>security page> and you will see all the zones. Only dealo here is I dont know of a spot where you can change the privacy setting since they changed it to the "control panel" type interface. 

Monday, June 29, 2015 5:47 PM
  • 4 sites under Security? I have that set with no issues. But i am looking under privacy. And not able to find that policy?

Thanks for trying to help. Cant belive no one has this set.

Monday, June 29, 2015 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

Before going further, sorry for the late response.

>>But i do not have Internet Explorer Maintenance? Only Internet Explorer  folder

Prior to IE10, we can utilize Internet Explorer Maintanence(IEM) to configure IE Privacy settings. However, beginning from IE10, IEM has been deprecated in favor of Group Policy Preferences, Administrative Templates (.admx), and the Internet Explorer Administration Kit 10 (IEAK 10). 

To manage Privacy settings for IE 11, we can use IEAK 11 to do this.

Regarding replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Appendix B: Replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Regarding IEAK, the following articles can be referred to for more information.

Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) Information and Downloads

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb219517.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:08 AM