Correct way to distribute applications during migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We built a new primary site server for the latest version of SCCM 2012 R2 and are currently migrating applications and packages to the new site. I have attempted to distribute a number of applications but when I click Distribute Content, the DPs and/or DP Groups I need to select are not available. When you look at Content Location for an application in its properties, I can see the DPs and DP Groups I needed are already assigned in the application even though the software has not been has not been distributed yet. I'm guessing the application remembers its status prior to the migration and Monitoring shows the condition Green from its previous state.

If I use Update Content on a Deployment Type, will that properly migrate the application or do I need to do something else to ensure the application is properly migrated? I've been thinking it might be necessary to delete all Content Locations from the application properties and then Distribute Content again to be sure the content is distributed.

Thank you,

Rob

Monday, November 20, 2017 11:16 PM

All replies

• How exactly are you "migrating" applications?

Are you sure you are running ConfigMgr 2012 R2? If so, why would you migrate to it instead of ConfigMgr Current Branch?

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:51 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Our SCCM instance was running on WS 2008 R2 and on hardware that was not performing well. We upgraded to new hardware and WS 2016 Datacenter. The data source share is remaining the same so it doesn't need to move any place. Our SCCM version was 5.00.8458.1520 (1610) on an older, different server and is now 5.0.8540.1600 (1706) on shiny new hardware.

The server admin asked me to distribute all of our applications and packages from the new server to the appropriate DPs. For the most part, I have accomplished that but there are few applications that are not using DP Groups and have around 3 DPs selected. If I try to Distribute Content, I see that the DPs I need to distribute to are already selected as if they are already distributed. The thing is, nobody has distributed them yet which is why I was thinking it remembers how it was configured in the old environment.

For applications not using DP Groups, I have chosen Update Content for the deployment type but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do.

My experience lies in OSD and application/package deployment. Migration is not something I have any experience with which led me to post here. I do know for sure that your SCCM skills far exceed my own by a long shot. :)

-Rob

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 4:34 PM
  • So you did an actual site migration and used the migration tools to migrate the applications?

If so, did you also configure the DPs as shared DPs between the two sites?

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:37 PM
  • Yes, the migrations tools were used to migrate the applications and at the time, the DPs were shared between sites. The DPs are now configured to only use the new site.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:06 PM
  • Then there's nothing for you to do explicitly. All content that was distributed previously is still distributed. You can certainly go in to each item (or multi-select) and select Update DP, but from memory, that's not required.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:47 PM