Windows 7 WDS/MDT deployment won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• I have been breaking my head over this issue for several days, even reddit sysadmin can't fix this issue so here i am praying someone in here can help me.

This situation:

I've build my first WDS Server and Configured a windows 7 deployment with MDT. All this time i've tested the deployments on a VM and it worked like a charm.

Now i'm trying to deploy it to a laptop (HP Probook 650 G2) But it gets stucks after step 54 (After installing the OS it restart) but it says: "Boot Device Not Found, No OS installed on HD . (I've checked with booting an OS from an External HDD and confirmed the folders where created . I even did diskpart and saw it was MBR so it should be bios ? .)

What I've tried:

Somoane suggest Windows 7 doesn't like UEFI so i've disabled everything that has to do with UEFI/Secure boot in the BIOS.

After that i figured maybe my bios was acting up so i reset to factory settings, applied settings again, still no luck.

Upgraded bios from 1.06 to 1.09, reset to factory settings, applied settings still no luck...

-Already tried on another laptop same type, still problem occurs. - Tried with a diffrent Unattend.xml, same problem 

-Changed the "Format and partition Disk (UEFI) from GPT to MBR in Task Sequence, no luck ...

- Already tried on another laptop same type, still problem occurs.

-Tried with diffrent Unattend.xml, same problem

-Changed the "Format and partitidon disk (UEFI)- from GPT to MBR in task sequence, no luck ...

Extra info: I downloaded the driverpack fro the HP Ftp website and put them in a folder HP Probook 650 G2, before the inject Drivers step I Set up a Task sequence Variable that has Value = %Model% so it gets the modelname of the laptop.

We opted for 250 GB SSD's WD Blue's inside of the laptop.

Sorry if the formatting sucks.

Thanks alot for the help

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:50 AM

All replies

• I would always install Windows 7 devices in Legacy mode on HP devices to avoid any potential pitfalls surrounding UEFI boot. So your BIOS settings should reflect that:

Legacy Boot Options
    	Disable
    	*Enable
    UEFI Boot Options
    	*Disable
    	Enable
    Configure Legacy Support and Secure Boot
    	*Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable
    	Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Enable
    	Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Disable

In addition, your issues might be related to missing drivers. Can you verify that your task sequence is configured as described here in Scenario #3: https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management 

Aside from that do not modify the task sequence when it comes to Format & Partition hard drive - MDT has built in logic that handles MBR and UEFI (unless, of course, you are still using MDT 2012, but I would assume that this is not the case). Modifying unattend.xml should also be unnecessary to make this work.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:26 PM
  • Hello Anton, 

Thanks for the reply, Sadly enough i've tried everything as you said above and it still won't work ... i'm out of ideas now 

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Could it be something todo with legacy is not able to boot from the SSD ? 
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:01 AM
  • Could you please verify that 

• a) correct drivers are being applied during the OSD sequence?
    • b) correct Boot order in BIOS (hdd first, followed by network / usb)

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:29 AM
  • Drivers seem to get applied correctly,

boot options are:

UEFI Boot order

Sata 0: Windows Boot manager

USB

Sata1 :hp dvdrw

Legacy boot Order

Usb

Sata 1 

Network boot

(As you can see no Sata 0 under legacy boot) 

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:47 PM