isatap adapter RRS feed

• Question

•    I have some troubles with them in  my lap top, apparentely there a problem with the drivers of the isatap adapter #1 and #2, i tried to resolve the problem uninstalling the drivers but now my device manager is showing only the isatap adapter #2i would like to get some help to install again that adapter, i'd like also to know what those adapter are for and whether is or not a problem to have one of them uninstalled in my lap top?
      thanks for the help and apollogies about my broken English!!
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding the issue, I would like to share the following with you:

On a Windows Vista-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer, the Microsoft ISATAP adapter appears with a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, and you also receive an error message

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520

This may not affect the network connections, we can just safely ignore this issue.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 1, 2009 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

The Microsoft ISATAP device Inter Site Automatic Tunneling Address Protocol is used to help enterprises transition to an IPv6 infrastructure. The ISATAP adapter encapsulates IPv6 packets by using an IPv4 header. This functionality enables the client to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 infrastructure. This approach lets organizations slowly migrate to an IPv6 infrastructure without having to spend excessive time and financial resources to convert to the new infrastructure.

ISATAP adaptor is for IP address version 6 infrastructure. But now a days we are using IP address version 4. So kindly disable ISATAP adaptor.

1.       Go to Device Manager (Click on start and type Device Manager and hit enter) or (Click on start and you can find a word Computer, right click on Computer and click on manage. In computer management you can find Device Manager)

2.       In Device Manager, right click on ISATAP adaptor and click on disable

This will not affect the network connections and all.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, June 5, 2009 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding the issue, I would like to share the following with you:

On a Windows Vista-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer, the Microsoft ISATAP adapter appears with a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, and you also receive an error message

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520

This may not affect the network connections, we can just safely ignore this issue.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 1, 2009 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

The Microsoft ISATAP device Inter Site Automatic Tunneling Address Protocol is used to help enterprises transition to an IPv6 infrastructure. The ISATAP adapter encapsulates IPv6 packets by using an IPv4 header. This functionality enables the client to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 infrastructure. This approach lets organizations slowly migrate to an IPv6 infrastructure without having to spend excessive time and financial resources to convert to the new infrastructure.

ISATAP adaptor is for IP address version 6 infrastructure. But now a days we are using IP address version 4. So kindly disable ISATAP adaptor.

1.       Go to Device Manager (Click on start and type Device Manager and hit enter) or (Click on start and you can find a word Computer, right click on Computer and click on manage. In computer management you can find Device Manager)

2.       In Device Manager, right click on ISATAP adaptor and click on disable

This will not affect the network connections and all.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, June 5, 2009 1:37 AM